Talk

Advanced search

New job, how long to wait to TTC?

(3 Posts)
ApplesTheHare Thu 30-Nov-17 19:08:21

I'm very lucky to have 1 dd already. DH and I started TTC no.2 in July and fell almost immediately. Unfortunately the pregnancy ended in MMC over a month ago and I'm still getting BFPs from it now. I've also just got a new job this week and am wondering how long you have to leave it to start TTC to qualify for SMP? I can't wrap my head round the 26/15/25 weeks rule actually means in terms of how many weeks you have to wait after starting a new role...confused

Lifeofpies Thu 30-Nov-17 19:27:24

So sorry about your MMC, Apples. Getting pregnant anytime after your first week at work will qualify you for SMP (26 weeks in the job @ 15 weeks before your due date = 41 weeks total). You must also be earning over 113 per week.

ApplesTheHare Thu 30-Nov-17 19:34:39

Thanks very much lifeofpies I thought that's what the rule meant but wasn't sure. I wish they'd just say 'you need to be in a job for a week before falling pregnant to qualify' but I suppose businesses probably don't like that wording as they think it encourages people to sign up for the mat leave.

I was thinking of waiting a couple of months anyway as I haven't just started there for the mat leave and want to be respectful so that should be ok. After getting a bfp immediately last time I'm also convinced it'll take ages next time if at all!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now