Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Should I try BBT?

(13 Posts)
BalasMum Mon 27-Nov-17 20:23:22

Hi

Getting myself prepared for next cycle as I'm fairly convinced I'm out for November. I've not tried taking my BBT before. I've read you ideally need to do it first thing, roughly same time and before you've started moving around too much.

I can often be awake from 2:30 am and not get back off, perhaps 3 times a week. I won't get up but I'll be listening to music, reading etc. Should I bother or will the early starts throw the results out by too much?

Tia

BandhaAid Mon 27-Nov-17 20:36:02

It MUST be done first thing before you've moved, sat up or got out of bed because it's based on your lowest possible body temperature and this naturally rises if you're moving, including reading or sitting up, etc. It's recommended that you are asleep for at least four hours before doing it but you could still chart your BBT every day and discard the temps that have been messed around. This would still give you a general overview. Perhapd try it and see? Don't forget, you need a basal thermometer not an ordinary one.

BalasMum Mon 27-Nov-17 21:00:31

Thank you bandha. You're right, I may as well give it a go. Feeling a bit desperate.

BandhaAid Mon 27-Nov-17 21:12:21

What is your approach at the moment? Have you been ttc long?

BalasMum Mon 27-Nov-17 21:16:06

No not long at all. I've got a 2 year old that we conceived first month, dtd once on day of positive opk. Stupidly thought it would happen as easily this time around.

This will be our 3rd cycle. I track cm and do OPKs from about cd 10. Thinking I need to up my game though.

QueenAravisOfArchenland Mon 27-Nov-17 21:51:11

Feel free to try temping, but don't you think you're being a bit fatalistic? You've literally only been trying two cycles. If you're using OPKs and getting positives temping is probably not going to add much. I think making your peace with the fact it sometimes takes a bit longer is going to stand you in better stead than thinking if you just work at it more it'll happen instantly.

BalasMum Tue 28-Nov-17 02:18:04

Thank you QueenAravis. A really helpful post. I am a fully certified control freak and it can tip me over the edge of reasonable at times. Obviously ttc is so far out of our control and that clearly doesn't sit well with me. Thanks again.

BandhaAid Tue 28-Nov-17 06:22:06

@BalasMum I used to be a control freak and ttc dc1 was horrible for me. I'm a bit less controlling this time around, mainly because I'm really busy and I suppose it means I don't have as much time to worry about things. I enjoy teaching BBT because I find it interesting but, yes, definitely not time to panic after only 2 months.

BandhaAid Tue 28-Nov-17 06:22:37

Tracking*

BalasMum Tue 28-Nov-17 06:34:04

Thanks Bandha and you are certainly very informative - thank you. I think that's partly it with me as well - it's fascinating that there are these ways we can learn about what's going on in our bodies. I think education when we're younger is absolutely abysmal really! Thanks again!

NelleB Tue 28-Nov-17 06:35:35

@balasmum just another control freak here in your corner. Probably baby dancing too much if I tell anybody... so nice to meet up. I also have the same issues as you, cycle 2 here, got the OPK, vitamins and thermometer/chart just need that deranged look to top me off x

BalasMum Tue 28-Nov-17 06:39:36

Hi Nelle 🙋🏻 haha, I too am perfecting that deranged look. In good company I see. Good luck on this exciting / unbearable ttc journey!

Merrz Fri 01-Dec-17 11:25:20

Hi guys, i'm going to try bbt this cycle. I know it advises to do it when you immediately wake up before you get out of bed but i wondered if i were to walk through to the bathroom and do it would that make a huge difference? As long as i did that exactly the same every day then surely my temp movements would still mean the same?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: