Talk

Advanced search

Short luteal phase?

(14 Posts)
Eminybob Fri 24-Nov-17 09:08:43

I’ve been ttc number 2 for some time, and have just this month gone back to using OPKs (abandoned them as was never getting a positive - but am ovulating as I have been tested at docs)

Anyway, tracking my ov symptoms, ie cm and pains, I seemed to be ovulating mid cycle so thought all was normal.
But I still haven’t had a positive OPK this month (I’m on CD 19 now) but my darkest lines were around CD 17/18.
My cycle is usually between 24 and 27 days. So if I’m not ovulating until later does this mean I’m unlikely to be able to get pregnant? Could this be why it isn’t working for us this time. I’m on cycle 15 btw sad

Any advice would be appreciated.

Pibbee Fri 24-Nov-17 09:15:44

Hi there,

It may just be that you didn’t ovulate this cycle - that’s not unusual to happen from time to time. Unfortunately, a luteal phase of less than ten days is considered problematic.

Opks don’t work for everyone though.

Maybe chat to your GP about your concerns and see what they think?

Eminybob Fri 24-Nov-17 09:25:11

I did ask about it when I went, about 6 months ago, as I was having the same issues with OPKs. She was quite dismissive of them, saying they can’t be trusted, and to just keep having regular sex throughout my cycle. Which we do.

The thing is, and the reason I don’t think I’m going to go back again is we that even if there are problems with either me or DH, we probably won’t do anything about it anyway. I don’t think we will qualify for fertility treatment on the NHS as we already have a DC, and we are pushing 40.
We have decided that if it doesn’t happen by the end of the year we will probably just knock it on the head and come to terms with DS being an only. For a number of reasons.
So this month and next month are our last desperate attempts!

Dandelion89 Fri 24-Nov-17 09:44:57

I’m in a similar situation to you regarding short lp. I’ve heard vitamin b6 can be helpful. I plan on starting acupuncture soon to help me relax. I don’t think I’ve ovulated this month which is frustrating.

I hope you get your bfp soon.

McTufty Fri 24-Nov-17 12:22:58

I had a short luteal phase of 7 days and I am now 14 weeks pregnant so it can happen! It is harder though.

Take B6 along with a b-complex, vitamin C for progesterone and vitamin E for luteal function, see if I helps. Good luck!

Glitterandunicorns Fri 24-Nov-17 13:12:55

Have you tried taking your temperature to ascertain when you've ovulated?
Other than that, I definitely recommend B complex. I've heard of some ladies on here using something else to extend luteal phase but I can't remember what it's called, sorry. It's along the lines of agnes castus (a quick google didn't throw anything up!) but if you search on here about LPD, I'm sure you'll find it.
Good luck!

Eminybob Fri 24-Nov-17 17:29:22

Thank you everyone.

I tried temping when ttc DS and it wasn’t for me, I just couldn’t be bothered.

Will try B6. It’s too late for this month, so if no bfp in a week, will try it next month.

Eminybob Fri 24-Nov-17 17:30:08

Oh and congrats mctufty flowers

Dandelion89 Fri 24-Nov-17 18:47:45

Yes I struggle to temp, I find it adds stress and I’m a shift work set so not sure how accurate it is.

Congratulations McTufty, useful advice and reassuring to know that conception is possible with a short luteal phase.

Kkk87 Fri 24-Nov-17 19:37:32

I’ve also discovered I have a shirt luteal phase of 8-9 days. I have 26 day cycle and usually ovulate on CD17 So beginning of this cycle I started taking vitamin b6 with a vitamin b complex. Also sharted taking vitamin c & d .. this month I ovulated 3 days earlier than normal (wether it’s to do with the vitamins I’ll never know) af is due Tuesday (as long my my cycle isn’t shorter with ovulating sooner) praying this is my month x

Dandelion89 Mon 27-Nov-17 10:15:40

@Kkk87 thanks for sharing your experience after taking those vits, what doses did you take if you don't mind me asking? Hope this is your lucky month!

Kkk87 Mon 27-Nov-17 11:18:07

No problem @dandelion89 I’ve been taking 100mg vitamin b6 , 50g vitamin c, I’m unsure what the complex b Vitamin is but just 1 tablet per day and the same with the combined folic acid with vitamin d . Thanks but I think I’m out this month bfn today and af is due tomorrow

Dandelion89 Mon 27-Nov-17 19:22:00

Thanks @Kkk87. Ah sorry to hear that, hopefully you get some nice news after Christmassmile

Aries456 Mon 27-Nov-17 19:38:26

I discovered I had this when I was TTC#2. It scared the hell out of me!! I was convinced I wouldn't get pregnant then after 9 cycles I did! I don't know if it helped, but 1 day before I ovulated I went to a spa for the day and totally relaxed. I also started taking the 7 seas TTC pills which had been recommended to me and I conceived within 2 cycles of going on them. Certainly worth a try - don't despair yet!! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now