Talk

Advanced search

Chances of getting pregnant 2 days before ovulation?

(5 Posts)
SLO33YO Tue 14-Nov-17 20:58:49

I am new to mumsnet and ttc so sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but what are the chances of getting pregnant if you only had sex 2-3 days before ovulation?

DH and I only managed to BD 3 days and 2 days before ov as he then then went away for Work.

I know it’s technically possible but is it likely? Do most sperm die within 24 hours? Be interested to hear if anyone did get pregnant 2-3 days before ovulation?

SophieT83 Tue 14-Nov-17 21:17:36

I'm sure sperm can survive up to five days so yes, it is possible. This is why ovulation calendars generally give you a 5-6 day fertile window. Fingers crossed for you smile

Catalufa Tue 14-Nov-17 21:24:43

It happened to me. DH was away with work when I ovulated (I was using the sticks), but we’d had sex 2 days before and I got pregnant with DC1. Good luck OP!

Polly99 Tue 14-Nov-17 21:35:43

It’s pretty likely. The best days for conception are 1 and 2 days before ovulation.
Sperm have to undergo something called ‘capacitation’ to be able to fertilise an egg, and that process takes hours and happens in the Fallopian tubes. So you need them up there waiting for the egg when it is released (especially as the egg only lasts 24 hours or so).

SLO33YO Wed 15-Nov-17 07:45:05

Oooh thanks! This is my now my first TWW...seems like such a long time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now