Talk

Advanced search

Ovulation test as pregnancy test?

(11 Posts)
Mummypig09 Tue 14-Nov-17 08:20:16

I live in a small village and went to buy pregnancy test however they had none! A friend suggested ovulation test however I know that picks up LH levels and pregnancy test uses HCG. Google gives me conflicting advice! Had a faint positive on ovulation test however 17days past intercourse, pharmacy said they'd be restocked tomorrow so will get a pregnancy test but my question is, CAN ovulation tests be used as pregnancy? Thanks

Naturesbest Tue 14-Nov-17 08:34:48

I have used ovulation test as a pregnancy test and got a positive. Just be mindful that there’s always a second line on the ovulation test so your test line should be as strong or stronger than the control line to be positive. Same as you will test for ovulation I guess. Good luck!

Mummypig09 Tue 14-Nov-17 08:40:11

Ah I see, thank you! 2nd line was faint so it's probably incorrect. Thanks

Oysterbabe Tue 14-Nov-17 08:56:57

I used an ovulation test as a pregnancy test and the test line was absolutely blazingly positive, as dark as it could be. A faint line on one is unlikely to indicate pregnancy.

Oysterbabe Tue 14-Nov-17 08:59:54

I've found the picture.

TerrifyingFeistyCupcake Tue 14-Nov-17 10:58:10

They are useless as pregnancy tests. Truly. Yes, when you have a positive pregnancy test you will also very probably have a positive OPK if you did one for some reason, but lots of people will get a positive OPK when their period is due from the hormones changing prior to AF. About the only thing it can tell you is that if an OPK is negative (and if the test line isn't darker than the control line, it's negative) you are almost certainly not pregnant.

The only thing OPKs are useful for is trying to pinpoint your ovulation, and this only works if you take them in the middle of a cycle. If you want to know if you are pregnant or not, you need a pregnancy test.

Ekphrasis Tue 14-Nov-17 11:02:51

The other thing to consider is that just before a period some women get a second surge that shows a very positive ovulation test so they can be unreliable in the absence of a pregnancy test. I had this as was on holiday; I had some ov tests but hardly any pregnancy tests so tried an ov just to see. It was very positive but the pregnancy test was negative. Period came a couple of days later. I managed to get a frer too and it was negative.

They do go very dark when you’re pregnant but after it shows on a pregnancy test such as a frer.

Mummypig09 Tue 14-Nov-17 13:54:01

Thank you everyone, OH just brought me a test home and it's negative :-(

Have irregular periods, on day 27 of cycle after clomid and had brown spotting today. No idea how long cycle is as very irregular. Possible period starting?

Cactusjelly00 Tue 14-Nov-17 14:09:00

I don't think it's necessarily anything to do with your period - you will literally always get a line. Even your DH's pee would likely produce a faint line! Just wait another week or two, test again and try not to think about it. It's hard to do that, I know. But try!

Cactusjelly00 Tue 14-Nov-17 14:09:17

By test again btw I mean with a pregnancy test not ovulation

Cactusjelly00 Tue 14-Nov-17 14:10:05

Oh sorry 🙃 I'm an idiot I thought you meant the test result being to do with your period! Brown spotting is probably just your period starting. Excuse the idiotic sleep deprived cactus!
smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now