Talk

Advanced search

How long do you have to wait before TTC again?

(20 Posts)
Quaverz Sat 11-Nov-17 17:45:40

How long did you wait before TTC again after miscarrying? Would 2 weeks be too soon or do you have to wait until you have had your first period?

Justbookedasummmerholiday Sat 11-Nov-17 17:47:03

Dr usually recommends a period first as it makes dating a future pregnancy easier. But whenever you feel ready is fine.
flowersMc is really rubbish.

Quaverz Sat 11-Nov-17 17:51:09

It is flowers I do feel ready now, but didn't know if it would cause harm so soon.

TheCatsPaws Sat 11-Nov-17 18:28:55

You don’t “have” to wait. It just makes dating the pregnancy easier. After all my miscarriages, we tried against straight away.

TheCatsPaws Sat 11-Nov-17 18:29:26

By the way OP I’m very sorry you had a miscarriage. It’s hordible.

MouseLove Sat 11-Nov-17 19:49:21

Sorry for your loss. Realistically I would wait for a period. I know you probably feel mentally ready to try again but your body has suffered a trauma. Everything might feel ok, but you don’t know what’s going on inside. Allow yourself to recover and make inside lovely and cosy again. Sounds weird but another two weeks wouldn’t hurt if a healthy pregnancy will be for 9 months. I took 4 months off after my mmc. I was 10 weeks so needed time to recover mentally and physically.

FML2017 Sat 11-Nov-17 20:16:27

I didn't want to wait at all, I had a miscarriage on 21st June and was pregnant again by 14th July, never expected it to happen to fast but glad I didn't wait as I think being pregnant again helped me move on x

Quaverz Sun 12-Nov-17 10:09:59

FML aw wow, and is it a healthy pregnancy too? Congratulations! flowers

FutureFairyCrayon Sun 12-Nov-17 12:02:44

I conceived six weeks after a mmc, it was incredibly stressful and I didn’t enjoy it at all. Unfortunately, despite several good early scans, severe problems were found at our dating scan and our baby eventually died.

I would make sure you feel strong enough emotionally before ttcing again. The drive to be pregnant again can be very strong after a loss, but losing two pregnancies in the space of a few months completely broke me.

LisaSimpsonsbff Sun 12-Nov-17 12:21:33

I conceived (and lost) three pregnancies in three cycles. It was absolutely horrible, but the doctors reassured me that conceiving so soon again had nothing at all to do with losing again, and, like you, I couldn't bear waiting (I then had to wait three months to try again while we had testing done, and I found that really difficult). It does depend on how far along you were as to when your body will be ready, though. My first two were at five weeks and both of them only pushed ovulation a few days later than normal, but the last one was at seven weeks and that delayed it by two weeks.

LisaSimpsonsbff Sun 12-Nov-17 12:24:04

I also agree that you have to feel emotionally ready, but I also think that unfortunately being pregnant again after miscarriage might be hard however long you leave it. It's now been five months since my last miscarriage and I've just found out I'm pregnant again - I thought I had really healed and become calmer about the whole thing in those five months, but I'm now just as messed-up as ever!

TheCatsPaws Sun 12-Nov-17 12:26:19

Lisa Can I send you a PM? The same thing has happened to me (three in four cycles) sadly.

LisaSimpsonsbff Sun 12-Nov-17 12:38:47

Of course - send away! I haven't found any answers (despite testing), so don't have any kind of solutions to offer, sadly, but really happy to chat about it.

TheCatsPaws Sun 12-Nov-17 12:45:10

Thank you smile

Quaverz Sun 12-Nov-17 15:53:52

I was just wondering, can an ovulation testing kit pick up ovulation so soon after being pregnant? I have done one today and it says I'm ovulating, but also did a pregnancy test that still says positive
So what does that mean?

Justwaitingforaline Sun 12-Nov-17 20:23:41

A lot of women will get a positive Ovulation test when they’re pregnant, I believe.

Quaverz Sun 12-Nov-17 20:35:42

Ah that's the thing though, I don't think I'm actually pregnant. There's still some lingering HCG from my previous pregnancy I think, so is that what the ovulation kit will be picking up on?

LisaSimpsonsbff Mon 13-Nov-17 08:34:39

Yes, it probably will be. I don't think you can ovulate while still having hcg in your system, sorry. I know this is an awful waiting time for you and I really hope it doesn't last too long.

FML2017 Mon 13-Nov-17 17:16:19

Yes perfectly healthy touch wood, we have our 20 week scan this thurs.

MsJuniper Mon 13-Nov-17 17:28:22

Sorry to sidetrack but @LisaSimpsonsbff I just saw your post above and wanted to say I am thinking of you and have everything crossed. If you have a separate thread or want to chat let me know.

@Quaverz I waited after my 9 wk mcs but tried again straight after my earlier ones. I think the reasons to wait are either for emotional/physical recovery or to be sure about dates. So sorry you have been through this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now