Talk

Advanced search

TTC advice !?

(12 Posts)
MJordan Sat 11-Nov-17 09:41:36

Hi, my husband and I have been TTC for 4 months now.. which I know in the grand scheme of things isn’t long at all. But I haven’t been on any form of birth control since 2012 and my periods have always been irregular. I’ve been taking ovulation tests constantly around the time my phone app is telling me I am in my “fertile window” ...but I’m not getting any positives, ever! I am testing every 4-6 hours. Especially this “fertile window” as I had time off work and was able to test more regularly.
Even though my phone app is telling me my window has passed now I am still testing as obviously my body will tell me more than my phone app! But I just thought I came on here to get any TTC tips... we are having regular sex and to be honest a lot of it is planned “baby making sex” as I am baby on the brain.. which is driving me slightly crazy now. Seeing negative ovulation test one after eachother is making me think I’m never going to conceive if I am not ovulating !? But I do get a period every 5 weeks roughly so does that mean I am ovulating!? If I see a positive on my ovulation test does this mean I have to have sex right then and there? The more I look into TTC and reading about it, the most confused I get and the more I think how on earth do people get pregnant by accident!? Reading more it just seems like a military operation to conceive and it’s really taking its toll on my emotions! Hopefully some of this makes sense and someone can give me some friendly advice. I see a lot of abbreviations used in the TTC community and it’s all a bit foreign to me!
Thanks x smile

Justbookedasummmerholiday Sat 11-Nov-17 09:43:51

Use the app to select which days to use opk - test at 2 pm and 10pm . Have sex daily in the fertile window. And don't keep dh up to date on the whole saga or be prepared for him not to rise to the occasion!!

TerrifyingFeistyCupcake Sat 11-Nov-17 12:02:26

Just how irregular are your periods? Within 1-2 days each time or more irregular than that? Have you tracked your cervical mucus? Try temping to tell you when ovulation is?

OPKs don't work for some but if your cycle varies in length by more than a day or 2 I'd want to confirm whether you are actually ovulating or not.

DontCareBear Sat 11-Nov-17 12:20:54

Hi all,

Also to jump in here - we have been ttc for 2 years now and the exact same thing for me. Irregular periods and always negative opks when testing around the cd14 to cd20 mark.

This month i had negative opks again but got fertile cervical mucus on cd26 so tested with clearblue digital opk and got a smiley face! My first EVER positive opk in 2 years! So i would say make sure you have sex every other day throughout the month because it might be that your still testing at the wrong time because your irregular and can ovulate at different times of the month. Next month we are going to try that and hope that December is the game changer.

Just some further background on my situation:
TTC #1 for 2 years
Had all tests done and have come back normal ( same for husband)

Good luck! X

physicskate Sat 11-Nov-17 12:22:01

Most people ovulate about two weeks before af is due. Maybe try tracking your bbt or use a different brand. And you’re right, 4 months cycles isn’t long... give it time.

MJordan Sat 11-Nov-17 18:05:52

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Dontcarebear- I think I could be very similar to you! I am going to continue the ovulation tests and see if I get a positive any day soon. I’m on d21 AF so fingers crossed I see a positive ovulation test soon.

Good luck, I really hope December is your game changer too! halo xx

Marriageoftrueminds Sat 11-Nov-17 18:11:41

I’ve been trying with DH for 18 months so I don’t know if you’d want to take my advice about speedy conception grin but for what it’s worth, what I will say is that my cycle is slightly longer than normal - about 33 days - and can be a bit irregular. Anyway last cycle we finally conceived (although sadly I had an early miscarriage) and I was shocked to find I was pregnant because I was almost certain I had missed fertile window entirely that month. The OPKs seem to suggest I was ovulating around day 16 each month so we focussed our ‘efforts’ on that time frame but I normally have a random patch of EWCM for a day around CD20, which I always dismissed as just one of those things since it was after my supposed fertile window. It now looks like I ovulate much later than the OPKs suggest. This may be happening to you? When we start to try again I will certainly not be ignoring the late EWCM! Good luck to you, hope you get your BFP soon.

Marriageoftrueminds Sat 11-Nov-17 18:19:57

By the way I just remembered you said you didn’t know all the acronyms yet. Just in case, EWCM = egg white cervical mucus... welcome to the glamorous world of TTC grin

MJordan Sun 12-Nov-17 10:08:16

Would anyone say these were positive?
This is last night 11pm and this morning 9am...
The difference between positive and negative ovulation tests is very little. Fresh eyes on these would help a lot! Thanks

happybus28 Sun 12-Nov-17 10:30:55

Top one is negative but the bottom one looks very nearly there! Is the bottom one this mornings test? If so I reckon if you test again this afternoon/evening it’ll be a strong positive

MJordan Sun 12-Nov-17 11:33:43

Bottom one is last night. Top one is this morning. I’m starting to worry I’ve missed it? Will test again middle of today and this evening.

physicskate Sun 12-Nov-17 12:36:02

Bottom one very close. Could have missed the surge overnight. DTD!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now