Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Zikia/ Mexico

(51 Posts)
king1717 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:00:02

Right ladies, i am going on honeymoon in a week for two weeks and me and the hubby want to start trying for a baby as soon as we are home, I have said we will wait a week and if no symptoms show we will start TTC. What do you all think about this, has anyone been through the same thing before, if so what did you do?

MouseLove Fri 10-Nov-17 15:00:55

I would wait 6 months as advised by health professionals. Why take the risk?

2014newme Fri 10-Nov-17 15:01:20

6 months

king1717 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:06:36

it isnt 6 months! they say if you have been affected in women wait 6 weeks in men wait 6 months

Pibbee Fri 10-Nov-17 15:15:12

I presume you are going on honeymoon with your husband? In which case, it’s recommended to wait 6 months.

CaptainsCat Fri 10-Nov-17 15:23:50

Men have to wait six months to TTC. So you both have to wait six months.

confusedwife84 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:26:26

I was meant to be going to Mexico and wanted to conceive ASAP, spoke with doc and suggested to change destination, which we did. Good job as I got pregnant on honeymoon!!

CaptainsCat Fri 10-Nov-17 15:26:40

From the NHS

king1717 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:26:58

What if while we are out there we both dont get bitten?

ScarlettOH Fri 10-Nov-17 15:27:50

Yep, you’ll need to wait 6 months. This has ruled out a lot of holiday destinations for my husband and myself as a lot of places we would like to go have zika but as we are TTC it’s not worth the risk

2014newme Fri 10-Nov-17 15:28:37

You don't always know if you've bitten. You can be bitten and not notice. Not everyone reacts to bites.

2014newme Fri 10-Nov-17 15:29:07

Op ultimately you seem determined so crack on and ignore the medical advice.

CaptainsCat Fri 10-Nov-17 15:29:53

I don't think it's worth it OP. You won't always know if you've been bitten. You could look into paying for zika tests when you get home, but I don't know much about that. If you get pregnant within the six months, you will receive extra monitoring of growth etc. It is taken seriously - why risk your baby's health when you can wait?

king1717 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:30:37

we have waited 4 years to get married and then to start trying for a baby! I have PCOS so i am worried that if i dont start asap then it will be harder for us to conceive!

JoJoSM2 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:30:48

You could just get tested a month after your return (can’t test any sooner). If you don’t have Zika, you can start ttc then.

king1717 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:31:30

i didnt know you could pay to be tested!

NerrSnerr Fri 10-Nov-17 15:32:36

How long ago did you book the honeymoon? The 6 month advice has been around for a while. It is really not worth the risk.

king1717 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:34:41

booked it ages ago and when we checked it was two weeks once returned home and no symptoms you can ttc!

Anatidae Fri 10-Nov-17 15:35:53

You won’t know if you’ve been bitten or not. The mozzie that carries this is a daytime one and you don’t always get a reaction to bites.

The advice from the CDC is that you need to wait 6m.

There is absolutely no way in hell I would go to anywhere with a risk of Zika when ttc. I am currently ttc and work are trying to make me go to somewhere that keeps going on and off the list of possible zones. There is no way.

I’m a scientist. Wait 6 mo or change your honeymoon venue.

Anatidae Fri 10-Nov-17 15:37:26

You can get zika and have no or minimal symptoms - you may not realise you’ve been bitten and you may not realise you’ve been infected.

Virus remains in semen for at least 6m in men who have been exposed whether or not they were symptomatic.

Not a risk I would take.

CaptainsCat Fri 10-Nov-17 15:38:18

A quick google on zika testing tells me that for asymptomatic testers, a blood test is required. If this is negative in the first instance, a further antibody test must be done at a later date. This testing method is not fully accurate. So it looks like you'd be waiting regardless.

Lousalot Fri 10-Nov-17 15:39:40

We had the same issue! When we booked honeymoon it was 8 weeks but then went up to 6 months (I’ve never ever seen it say 2 weeks and have been monitoring it for a long time). I know you’ve been waiting ages and I totally understand the frustration but 6 months will fly and I found it really nice to just relax and enjoy not having to plan a wedding and just being married! It’s really not worth the risk, can you imagine how you would feel if it did happen!

As someone mentioned there is a test you can take but think you need to wait a certain number of weeks after getting back before you can have it (and think it’s around the £200 mark)

king1717 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:43:32

We have been waiting 2 years already!!! i want a baby so bad but now knowing i have to wait another 6 months just kills me! uggghhhh why have these horrid things and not come up with a jab to prevent it!!

king1717 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:45:42

Guess we will have to wait till june then! :'(

piglet81 Fri 10-Nov-17 15:46:56

Could you change your travel plans? If you booked a package tour or through a travel agent you might find it's possible to switch to another destination. I wouldn't take the risk, personally.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: