Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I'm sorry for a dumb question!

(5 Posts)
Funkyemzie Tue 07-Nov-17 22:36:00

Evening, I'm really sorry if this is a silly question and its probably been answered on here hundreds of times...but...

What is a Chemical pregnancy, or, a chemical??? TIA.

NimbleKnitter Tue 07-Nov-17 22:41:09

A chemical pregnancy is basically a very early miscarriage - it’s called a chemical because there is implantation, causing the hormone hcg.

This is the hormone picked up by home pregnancy tests.

Because the miscarriage is so early (usually around 4 or 5 weeks) they often aren’t picked up, as it just appears as if a period is late

Funkyemzie Wed 08-Nov-17 11:00:02

Ah, I understand, thanks for the reply! X

MouseLove Wed 08-Nov-17 11:08:04

From https://www.tommys.org/pregnancy-information/pregnancy-complications/pregnancy-loss/miscarriage/types-miscarriage/chemical-pregnancy-information-and-support

^A chemical pregnancy is the term given to a pregnancy which ends in miscarriage before the fifth week of gestation.

A chemical pregnancy is confirmed by a blood test or a home pregnancy test but not yet visible on an ultrasound scan (usually up until about 5 weeks of gestation).^
^
Once the pregnancy progresses past the fifth week, a gestational sac is visible on ultrasound and your pregnancy is known as a clinical pregnancy.

Most women don’t know they’re pregnant until week four of gestation, as pregnancy is measured from the first day of your last period. As a result, a chemical pregnancy can seem like a false positive pregnancy test, or simply a late period.

It’s simply a very, very early miscarriage.^

A chemical pregnancy accounts for up to 50-75% of ALL miscarriages making them extremely common.

Funkyemzie Thu 09-Nov-17 12:33:25

That's is a great response, thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now