Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

I'm sorry for a dumb question!

(5 Posts)
Funkyemzie Tue 07-Nov-17 22:36:00

Evening, I'm really sorry if this is a silly question and its probably been answered on here hundreds of times...but...

What is a Chemical pregnancy, or, a chemical??? TIA.

NimbleKnitter Tue 07-Nov-17 22:41:09

A chemical pregnancy is basically a very early miscarriage - it’s called a chemical because there is implantation, causing the hormone hcg.

This is the hormone picked up by home pregnancy tests.

Because the miscarriage is so early (usually around 4 or 5 weeks) they often aren’t picked up, as it just appears as if a period is late

Funkyemzie Wed 08-Nov-17 11:00:02

Ah, I understand, thanks for the reply! X

MouseLove Wed 08-Nov-17 11:08:04

From https://www.tommys.org/pregnancy-information/pregnancy-complications/pregnancy-loss/miscarriage/types-miscarriage/chemical-pregnancy-information-and-support

^A chemical pregnancy is the term given to a pregnancy which ends in miscarriage before the fifth week of gestation.

A chemical pregnancy is confirmed by a blood test or a home pregnancy test but not yet visible on an ultrasound scan (usually up until about 5 weeks of gestation).^
^
Once the pregnancy progresses past the fifth week, a gestational sac is visible on ultrasound and your pregnancy is known as a clinical pregnancy.

Most women don’t know they’re pregnant until week four of gestation, as pregnancy is measured from the first day of your last period. As a result, a chemical pregnancy can seem like a false positive pregnancy test, or simply a late period.

It’s simply a very, very early miscarriage.^

A chemical pregnancy accounts for up to 50-75% of ALL miscarriages making them extremely common.

Funkyemzie Thu 09-Nov-17 12:33:25

That's is a great response, thank you!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: