Talk

Advanced search

Is vitamin b6 delaying ovulation?!

(10 Posts)
IWouldBeSuperb Tue 07-Nov-17 17:24:43

I'm hoping someone has some idea about this because I can't find any info online!

I've been charting for six months and seemed to be ovulating late (cd 20 in a 28/ 29 day cycle).

Read (on here!) that a vitamin b6 complex can help lengthen a shorter luteal phase so gave it a try and it seemed to work really well - delaying period by 2 days after taking the tablets for only half a cycle!

BUT I'm now into next cycle, cd22 and no ovulation according to my temps.

So, is the b6 delaying ovulation too? In which case surely it's not actually helping the short luteal phase problem?!

Any knowledge or experiences would be much appreciated as I'm just confusing myself now!

Thank you!! smile

IWouldBeSuperb Tue 07-Nov-17 20:07:03

Am I doing something wrong by taking them throughout my cycle?

JoJoSM2 Tue 07-Nov-17 21:18:26

Excess b6 gets peed out so no problem with taking it.

Ovulation can sometimes be late - it's not an exact science.

SilverLilly Tue 07-Nov-17 21:21:12

I have been wondering the same thing. I think B6 has lengthened my luteal phase by a day or two (or it could just be my cycles settling after the pill) but this month I ovulated on cd 17, usually it's cd15/16 not a huge difference but it did make me think maybe it had something to do with it.

YNK Tue 07-Nov-17 21:28:10

B6 is the only B vitamin that can become neurotoxic at intake of more than 10mg a day.
Symptoms are similar to B12 deficiency (pernicious anaemia and can be permanent.
Do not take more than 10mg a day unless being tested/monitored by blood test!
Have you had tests for B12, folate, ferritin, FBC and full thyroid panel?
www.b12deficiency.info/b12-and-pregnancy/

YNK Tue 07-Nov-17 21:29:58

I have pernicious anaemia so have some knowledge of B vitamin cofactors.

YNK Tue 07-Nov-17 21:32:06

Google scholar is the best source of info - there is lots of misinformation online since sales of vitamins is a lucrative business.

IWouldBeSuperb Tue 07-Nov-17 22:00:10

Thank you so much for responses -

I have the fear now ynk - maybe I should do some more research - I don't want to mess my cycle (or anything else!) up more in an attempt to fix it!

YNK Tue 07-Nov-17 22:27:06

I think you should have the blood tests I noted and also get B6 tested too.
Good luck.

YNK Tue 07-Nov-17 22:31:33

From google scholar link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10072-014-1902-6

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now