Talk

Advanced search

TTC newbies

(17 Posts)
Bubblegum89 Mon 06-Nov-17 22:53:33

Welcome welcome.

I have seen a lot of posts on here the last week or so from people who are just starting out on their ttc journey or have been ttc for a few months and are coming on here to ask a million questions, so I thought I would make a post that maybe you could all have a nose at and maybe not feel as stressed out. I’ve been ttc a year now. There are plenty of ladies on here who have been trying longer. Here’s some advice/tips I’ve had along the way:

* DO NOT SYMPTOM SPOT. Number one rule of ttc. Don’t bother. It causes unnecessary stress and will drive you insane. You WILL have symptoms that you’ve never had before and they WILL be symptoms you hear associated with pregnancy. Sore boobs, peeing all the time, nausea, fatigue, aversion to foods/smells, weird cm, pregnancy dreams, dizziness etc etc. Before I started ttc, I’d never noticed any symptoms at all during my cycle. Now every single cycle for 12 months, I have had a variety of either very strong symptoms, symptoms that I hadn’t had before or no symptoms whatsoever. I have not been pregnant in 12 months. Not once. All of these symptoms are due to hormones, not pregnancy. You won’t get pregnancy symptoms until you are at least a good 4/5 weeks into a pregnancy and you will have already got a positive test by then. Any symptoms you had beforehand if you DID conceive, you would have got regardless.

* Don’t start testing at 4dpo. It’s a waste of time and money. In fact, don’t bother testing until your missed period. You can get a positive if you’ve conceived, at around 10/11dpo but any tests, even FRER’s are most accurate the day after a missed period. If you conceive, you won’t have implantation until around 7-10 dpo, sometimes later. If you are a day late but still getting very negative tests, you’re very unlikely to be pregnant.

* Don’t expect it to happen straight away and don’t expect it to be easy just because you had another child easily. I have been pregnant twice whilst on birth control. I’ve been off birth control for a year and been having sex when I’m ovulating and nothing. Nada. Zilch.

Seriously, don’t stress yourself out. Figure out your fertile week, buy some opk’s, do your bbt if you want. Have sex on the right days and then just sit back and wait for your period. You’re either pregnant or you’re not and obsessively googling symptoms and getting your hopes up isn’t going to change the outcome.

Best of luck to you all!! 😊

NimbleKnitter Tue 07-Nov-17 10:26:52

👏

Steaksauce Tue 07-Nov-17 13:50:50

Brilliant thread👏🏼

misshannah Tue 07-Nov-17 14:01:29

Thank you, i totally felt like i needed that! smile i've been trying not to symptom spot... obviously not worked so am taking myself away from mn for the next few days. Thanks.

Bubblegum89 Tue 07-Nov-17 16:52:44

misshannah I wasted so much stress the first few months of ttc because I knew nothing about symptoms and stuff. We’ve all been there in the early days smile

AJ89 Tue 07-Nov-17 17:01:39

Love this! Thanks! After 3 cycles stressing over symptoms and tests I’ve now realised I need to calm down and just let it be.

KTD27 Tue 07-Nov-17 17:45:13

👏

Bubblegum89 Tue 07-Nov-17 18:34:10

AJ89 it’s hard to not do it but life is so much easier when you stop, I promise!

minime2017 Tue 07-Nov-17 19:04:40

👍super advice Bubblegum! All so accurate. So much time wasted on speculating and hoping, not to mention money on tests of all sorts 🙄

60sname Wed 08-Nov-17 20:53:40

Totally agree it's easy to see symptoms that are just normal pre-AF when you're watching everything like a hawk.

However, my sense of taste (coffee and alcohol) and smell (usually very poor) have never changed in any months except when I have got a BFP. This happened from 4dpo.

Bubblegum89 Wed 08-Nov-17 21:13:15

Perhaps 60sname but it’s extremley uncommon to implant that early. Also I’ve been pregnant twice and had sore boobs both times and no other times other than that in my entire life. So imagine my excitement when I suddenly got sore boobs when starting ttc. But it wasn’t a pregnancy symptom for me that time. I think generally, you shouldn’t think anything of symptoms until you get a positive test because 99% of the time, they don’t mean anything and just add to the disappointment. Anything to feel a little less insane during the ttc journey, right? Lol

60sname Wed 08-Nov-17 21:52:38

I think it's just general hormonal weirdness rather than implantation.

But yy to this
Anything to feel a little less insane during the ttc journey, right?

surreygirl1987 Wed 08-Nov-17 21:56:46

Well said!

zoClueless Thu 09-Nov-17 17:52:47

Thank you - I'll be starting from next month and will try to keep all this in mind!

Weeickle Thu 09-Nov-17 18:41:11

Great thread, I've just joined after having a mc after ttc for 6 months to find other people and know that I'm not on my own. Already making me feel like a normal human being.

Bubblegum89 Thu 09-Nov-17 18:48:49

You’re all welcome and I’m glad it’s been of some help. Good luck to you all smile

Pickle0 Thu 09-Nov-17 19:59:47

I'll be following!!

Over 1yr ttc and on week 4 of metformin after lots of blood tests and scan told have PCOS, so GP suggested trying metformin for 6 months & if no luck to go back to be referred. Interested to see if anyone else is using metformin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now