Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

BFP this morning - what next?

(8 Posts)
katiepage1993 Mon 06-Nov-17 09:26:35

Just had a positive on a clear blue digital - tells me 1-2 weeks (thought it would be more but won’t argue with science ;) )

What do I do next? How early can I make a drs appointment? I live in a rural area with a nice family gp who I’ve seen since I was a kid so do I just make an appointment? Or is it too early?

Stee1 Mon 06-Nov-17 09:28:55

You will be around 3-4 weeks I would call for an appointment when around 6-7 weeks and they usually just book you with the midwife around 8 weeks no need to see a doctor

Stee1 Mon 06-Nov-17 09:29:11

Congratulations by the way x

Oysterbabe Mon 06-Nov-17 09:31:12

You probably don't need to see a Dr. I called my surgery and asked, they gave me midwife details to contact them directly.

JoWithABow Mon 06-Nov-17 09:52:47

Congratulations!

Different areas have different procedures so call up and speak to the receptionist at your surgery and ask what the next steps are.

In my area they give you the number for the midwife, and then a few weeks later you get an appointment to 'book in' (usually about 8-10 weeks). The booking in appointment is mostly just paperwork, eg which hospital do you want, etc, then 12-13 weeks you go for your scan. Then back to the midwife at 16 weeks where they sometimes let you listen to the heartbeat.

I think it's unusual to need to see a GP, especially this early on in an otherwise uncomplicated pregnancy.

NetflixandBill Mon 06-Nov-17 10:07:08

Yes, just ring the receptionist and she may just do the referral to midwife over the phone. You just need your details and sate if last period. You’ll then get a letter or a phonecall from midwife inviting you for your booking apt at around 8-10 weeks.

I made a GP apt with my first pregnancy and he seemed a bit annoyed i’d used up an appointment tbh. I was 5 weeks and he said ‘you’ve barely missed your period.’

NoWordForFluffy Mon 06-Nov-17 12:50:46

I agree. Contact your surgery and see what the process is on your area. Sometimes they want you to see a GP / nurse before midwife referral and sometimes they don't.

(My two are 13 months' apart and the process changed in between the two of them!)

SoozC Mon 06-Nov-17 16:42:39

Congratulations!

My doctor wanted to see me when I first told him at nearly five weeks (mentioned it during phone call to do with something else). I saw him a week later and I'm glad I did because I rang for a phone appointment today and he called me first because he knew I was preggers (just in case it was related). I haven't met a midwife yet, that appointment isn't until next week, so can't call them yet if I have a pregnancy issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now