Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Long distance TTC and Zika.....

(5 Posts)
Westmacott Sun 05-Nov-17 12:27:50

Hi! DH and I live some 5000 miles apart but want to start TTC when we see each other at Xmas. If we miss Xmas window it’ll be March :-(

Problem - DH has just been in a Zika country and all advice says to wait 6 months. And even to use condoms regardless of TTC as virus could spread sexually. I don’t want to do BCP and condoms all Xmas!!

What would you do? Would you wait until March? Is everyone who travels to these places really using condoms for 6 months!??

Cupcakesandlove Sun 05-Nov-17 12:30:04

Oh what a bummer.... I didn’t want to read and run.
I haven’t been in this position but I think from a personal point of view I would wait and I couldn’t forgive myself. But of course it’s entierly up to you if you are willing to take the “risk”!
All the best either way xxxx

Thetoothyteeth Sun 05-Nov-17 12:34:56

If you're willing to accept that you might have a baby born with zika virus then crack on. If not - then follow the advice maybe? Watch some youtube videos about how mothers of babies born with zika babies feel, because they weren't fortunate enough to be given a warning in advance?

Mrsjones17 Sun 05-Nov-17 13:14:54

Can sympathize my DH although not long distance is military so times when we can TTC are limited as he goes away a lot! A while ago he had travelled to zika country with work and we waited the 6 months. I know that it might seem like a long time to have to wait but I couldn't bear the thought if we had been lucky to concieve but our baby born with problems because we couldn't just be patient. I know it's tough but I would honestly wait. You could spend 9 months of your pregnancy worried sick that your baby will have problems for the rest of its life.

You could still be TTC in a year time and would be ok

hungryradish Tue 07-Nov-17 22:26:28

My husband & I paid for him to have a blood test specifically testing for zika virus. Maybe have a look into this & see if it would be suitable for your situation too?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: