Talk

Advanced search

Not ovulated after 6 cycles?

(29 Posts)
Funkyemzie Sat 04-Nov-17 11:20:57

So I'm 36 years young and we decided to start ttc but I haven't ovulated at all for 6 months! I have done ovulation tests at different times of the day, I have taken temp everyday, one month we dtd every night for nearly 3 weeks...still keeps it exciting though and at caring times in the day.

I know it's definately not PCOS as a couple of months ago I had to go into hospital with suspected appendicitis. It turned out it wasn't that so had a scan on my ovaries etc and she said that everything was perfect.

What do u guys think? I only joined this site yesterday so hoping I can gets some advise, is it time go the docs and what else can I do to make ovulation happen if anything? (I'm pretty regular too, every 27-28 day cycle. Been using my own calendar for 3 months then started using ovia app).

TIA!!! Xxx

seven201 Sat 04-Nov-17 11:34:00

Which days of the month do you use the ovulation tests? I ovulate really late on in my cycle and didn’t realise until about 6 month in of ttc. You should go to your gp and get some expert advice.

physicskate Sat 04-Nov-17 11:34:04

Have you been tracking bbt? Some people never get positive opks... have you tried a different brand of opk?

While not impossible that you aren’t ovulating, no positive opk is not definitive. Regular cycles could mean either as well. It is more statistically likely that you are ovulating, just perhaps missing your surge or just not getting positive opks.

Because you’re over 35, NICE guidelines say to see your gp after 6 months ttc and they can run day 21 blood tests to check for ovulation.

Funkyemzie Sat 04-Nov-17 11:43:57

I've used clear blue, some Amazon ones and some others from Home bargains. One month I did the Amazon ones every day for the full cycle after my AF. All I have ever got is an evaporation line and nothing stronger ever. I already have 1 daughter who is 10 but desperate for another.

So if I'm missing my LH surge, should I be doing a test a few times a day..i genuinely don't think I can keep holding in my pee to keep doing that! confused

I to take temp but it only fluctuates by .03 was the most so did a test and still nothing. The highest I get my temp is just before AF. Xxx

Funkyemzie Sat 04-Nov-17 11:45:39

What are day 21 bloods btw? I haven't looked into what the docs would do. X

physicskate Sat 04-Nov-17 12:57:12

As I said, it’s a blood test that can check if you’ve ovulated. It measures progesterone levels, which naturally are high after ov.

See your gp.

Funkyemzie Sat 04-Nov-17 13:05:25

Physicskate, thank you very much!!!

I have also just been out and brought a new thermometer as my OH has just informed me that the one we have is 11 years old and last time he took our daughters temp it said 22 degrees so actually it many not have been as accurate as i thought! I've just got a Braun one. Omg!

seven201 Sat 04-Nov-17 16:58:44

Cheap ovulation test strips didn’t work at all for me, only the clear blue digital ones showed up/worked.

MouseLove Sat 04-Nov-17 19:42:24

As you’re over 35 a doc will usually start investigations after 6 months. Why not ask for some 21 day bloods to check you’re ovulating. And they may scan you again. I would also try the clearblue digital ovulation kits. Foolproof if you don’t have pcos.

Funkyemzie Sat 04-Nov-17 20:49:33

According to ovia i'm in my fergile phase now and tmi but discharge is like spit (gross i know, im sorry) so i think im going to try and distinguish things like that rather than rely completely on opks.

I have now also brought myself a new thermometer as it seems the original one has been giving false readings for the last couple of years aparently.

I have tried a whole variety of opks to see if different ones gave me different readings but literally all of them have just the faintest pink line, not even close to a positive. I'll go another cycle as i'm on day 15 atm and try the new thermometer out for bbt and see how that goes in next cycle.

Would you say its worth contacting dr's on Monday or leave it another cycle? Xxx

Funkyemzie Sat 04-Nov-17 20:52:00

Or my Fertile stage even, not fergile!! [Blush]

KTD27 Sun 05-Nov-17 06:03:20

smile you need a thermometer which measures to two decimal places - so 36.36 not 36.3
Then use a tracker to put in your bbt and it will work it out for you. I use fertility friend which is free

Bunnychopz Sun 05-Nov-17 06:16:02

This was me. I have 4 kids now. Regular cycles, crappy ovulation. Immature eggs. My charts showed a good rise but the reality was that it should have been a bit better rise.

Go to your GP early cycle and ask for a day 21 progesterone blood test. It needs to be done on day 21 of your cycle and should be over 30 for NHS but ideally 40 results when I went private

There’s a drug called clomid. It’s like magic fairy dust and resolves lots of simple female infertility issues.

MouseLove Sun 05-Nov-17 11:01:14

Nope I would not wait another cycle as you’ll need bloods 7 days AFTER you ovulate. So, ideally you’ll need a fully tracked month next cycle to get the ball rolling. That’s if they offer you that. They should!

Funkyemzie Sun 05-Nov-17 11:18:38

Brilliant, I'll be day 17 tomorrow so if they can fit me in this week to get them done then that would be ideal wouldn't it.

The thermometer I brought only goes to one decimal place like the last one i had, is that not really ideal then? X

KTD27 Sun 05-Nov-17 11:23:28

Nope - defo needs to be two decimal places to chart properly

seven201 Sun 05-Nov-17 11:57:25

Go the gp, you have reason to so don’t feel like you’re being a nuisance. You need a basal thermometer, not a normal one. You need to use it as soon as you wake up, ie can’t wait five minutes before waking up properly I couldn’t do this as I hate mornings so gave up on basal temp monitoring.

Funkyemzie Sun 05-Nov-17 12:32:30

Ah Well, the thermometer might be useful for the future. wink

Ok, I'll contact the docs in the morning and see if I can get in with the women's health dr.

Thank you so much for for all your help. I'll let you know if I can what the Drs say. X

MouseLove Sun 05-Nov-17 20:17:49

Do you know exactly when you ovulated this cycle? If so then you can get your bloods done this cycle. Otherwise it will need to be next cycle so you can fully track.

Funkyemzie Sun 05-Nov-17 20:41:19

Not a clue when i do, seen as that old thermometers not reliable, i've never had a positive opk and cf, according to Ovia is at optimal today but it keeps moving the dates. So actually, its been like this for the past 6 cycle, this one being 7th.

I have spent a raging fortune on opk's as ive been doing on everyday as it just wont pinpoint. Actually losing the will now. X

MouseLove Sun 05-Nov-17 21:12:47

Have you tried clearblue digital OPK? I would ignore ovia personally. Start charting using fertility friend and book your bloods next cycle. You’ll need to know exactly when you ovulate for them to be worthwhile. For example I only have a 9 day luteal phase and would know this if I didn’t chart. The doctors may want a few cycles of consistent charts before they go any further.

Bunnychopz Mon 06-Nov-17 01:14:45

Ps it’s fine if the day 21 progesterone test is a day out. Won’t make any difference. Also yes in theory it should be about 7 days post ovulation but my GP never quite grasped that for some reason.

Bunnychopz Mon 06-Nov-17 01:16:02

Also the might just tell you you ovulated or didn’t but it’s more helpful to know the numbers.

Funkyemzie Mon 06-Nov-17 11:21:48

Brilliant, thank you. I have booked in for morning so if she can do them great but if she can't then at least I will know what I've got to do and for how long.

I'm using the clear blue digital this month. Still nothing and run out of tests after tomorrow so will have to nip into town in boots. I've tested everyday this month since finishing af just to check I wasn't ovulating really early and I was missing it but nothing. I have done a full month before with no positive but that was with the Amazon ones. X

Bunnychopz Mon 06-Nov-17 21:25:06

Do give your GP the solution. Don’t be fobbed off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now