Talk

Advanced search

Clomid Confusion - what dose??!!

(18 Posts)
ConfusionIsNothingNew Fri 03-Nov-17 20:01:32

Sorry if this is long but I’m wondering what I should do!

Last month was my first on Clomid (50mg), I was scanned on CD12 and my doc said she could see very slight activity on my left ovary but that there hadn’t been a great response. She said I should forget about this cycle, wait until I got my next natural period and then double the dose.

I normally have 8 week cycles (ovulate every other month) so wasn’t expecting another period until next month. Today, I’ve started spotting and so I think I’ve ovulated late and this is my period (would make it a 37 day cycle). I did have quite a bit of pain around CD 23 and in retrospect think it was ovulation.

So, my question is, should I take double the Clomid dose or keep taking the 50mg seeing as I did actually ovulate on it? I can’t speak to the doc until Monday and I need to take it CD 1-5 which starts tomorrow!

Thanks if you got this far!!

JoJoSM2 Fri 03-Nov-17 20:22:21

Your doctor should advise on the dose not a stranger on a forum.

physicskate Fri 03-Nov-17 20:57:58

I too would follow doctor’s advice!! Clomid is not stuff to mess with - very powerful stuff!!

TBF, cd 23 is quite late to ovulate. If you aren’t having a monitored cycle, definitely bbt and/or opk...

Waddlingwanda Fri 03-Nov-17 21:02:51

If they’ve said double dose then do that. Just start your new cycle day1 from the day you’ve come on, even if that’s earlier than you’d expected.

Waddlingwanda Fri 03-Nov-17 21:04:13

I’d also recommend bbt/opk tests. I ovulate very late and used clomid and they were so valuable to getting the correct day.

AccrualIntentions Fri 03-Nov-17 21:05:21

I'd take the doctor's advice. Having a period necessarily doesn't mean you ovulated either. I was always told if a cycle was that long it was more likely to be anovulatory.

ConfusionIsNothingNew Fri 03-Nov-17 21:06:28

Thanks for the helpful replies, I will be monitored this cycle once I can ring her office on Monday, typically though this happens at 5pm on a Friday!

I’m worried about taking double the dose as I know how powerful a drug Clomid can be but I don’t want to waste a month only taking 50mg if that’s not what I’m meant to do.

ConfusionIsNothingNew Fri 03-Nov-17 21:09:02

Yes that’s true-I maybe didn’t even ovulate this cycle so I’ll take double dose tomorrow and ring on Monday.

Bunnychopz Fri 03-Nov-17 21:12:45

What were your day 21 progesterone results with and without clomid?

I upped my dose to 100mg because my results were under 30. This was the correct to for me to conceive

Bunnychopz Fri 03-Nov-17 21:14:47

Why do you need to take it 1-5? People take it in a variety of days so you could wait and do 3-7

ConfusionIsNothingNew Fri 03-Nov-17 21:18:18

Doc told me to take it days 1-5, not sure why as I’ve read that other people take it on other cycle days.

I haven’t had progesterone tests done, just put straight on Clomid as I have PCOS.

Waddlingwanda Fri 03-Nov-17 21:31:18

Mine was days1-5, Also had PCOS and ovulate day 35 every time (found out from opk tests). So all sounds about right to me

ConfusionIsNothingNew Fri 03-Nov-17 21:33:58

Thanks waddling, I just wasn’t expecting to get my period today so it’s thrown me a bit!

Bunnychopz Fri 03-Nov-17 21:37:31

I have/had PcOS and day 21 tests

Bunnychopz Fri 03-Nov-17 21:38:08

Take a opk just in case

Catinthecorner Fri 03-Nov-17 21:38:26

How’s your cervical mucus? You probably noticed a change if you ovulated.

I’d go up to 100 as per the last instructions

ConfusionIsNothingNew Fri 03-Nov-17 21:41:59

To be honest I didn’t pay much attention to any other symptoms this month after my tracking scan, as I was sure it hadn’t worked!

Will do opks this month coming in conjunction with scan and see what happens.

NC1990 Fri 03-Nov-17 23:13:22

My first month on clomid I was told exactly the same thing at the scan, but I ended up ovulating late on day 25. Sometimes it can happen a little late the first cycle. I had two separate progesterone tests to confirm ovulation, so you should really have this to make sure you haven't responded. Much better to be on the lowest dose possible with clomid.

FWIW I conceived on the third month of 50mg.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now