Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Considering private ultrasound

(12 Posts)
Mrsjones17 Wed 01-Nov-17 01:53:03

Anyone had a private ultrasound scan? I've found somewhere that offers ultra sounds scan for £99 to look at lining of womb as well as ovaries for cysts etc. Anyone had any experience of this?

MouseLove Wed 01-Nov-17 14:10:13

How long have you been TTC and how old are you? Once you get to a year the nhs will scan you for free.

NimbleKnitter Wed 01-Nov-17 14:17:32

Not had it done privately, but an internal and abdominal ultrasound was super useful for me - confirmed ovulation and found a cyst

Mrsjones17 Wed 01-Nov-17 17:01:42

@mouse. I'm into cycle 13 now. 29 years old. Had day 21 bloods done and fine.

Wiggles9408 Wed 01-Nov-17 17:06:43

I’ve had both private and NHS internal and external ultra sounds! If you’re concerned or interested then go private because waiting for the NHS is a bit annoying. Private scans are so useful, I had one before falling pregnant and was told I had a lovely squashy womb and they checked every thing (after miscarriage) and then because I loved the clinic so much I ended up having about seven private scans of my dd shock

LisaSimpsonsbff Thu 02-Nov-17 10:53:31

How long have you been TTC and how old are you? Once you get to a year the nhs will scan you for free.

Unfortunately this actually depends on where you live - in my area it's two years before they'll start fertility investigations.

MouseLove Thu 02-Nov-17 10:59:08

Your GP should refer you for an ultrasound at 12 months. And you should have 21 day bloods if you haven’t lisa. OP, maybe visit your GP again and ask if there’s anymore they can do. I’m having my ultrasound this Sunday, bloods in a few weeks, we’re on month 14. I visited the GP last Monday to start the ball rolling with investigations. If the GP says no, then yes I would definitely go private.

LisaSimpsonsbff Thu 02-Nov-17 11:10:49

It doesn't actually apply to us because I'm a recurrent miscarrier not someone who has trouble getting pregnant but my local area does have a two year limit to access any fertility investigations - it's not in accordance with NICE recommendations, but they also offer absolutely no IVF, which also flouts NICE.

LisaSimpsonsbff Thu 02-Nov-17 11:13:54

(DH had a chat with the GP about this when he went about a lump - which turned out to be all fine, thank god - in his testicle when we'd been trying for seven months. I also know some friends who haven't conceived in 16 months and have had to go private)

MouseLove Thu 02-Nov-17 12:53:52

Wow that’s really really bad Lisa. I’d be able to have 3 rounds of ivf in my area. The wait for my scan was a week. I actually chose the date to be this weekend, on a Sunday, just to make my life easier. I got a phone call from the scan place 4 days after my initial GP appointment. It’s probably going to be a 6 week wait for a fertility clinic appointment in my area though but I won’t be able to start any kind of treatment until I get my BMI in order. Have you had your thyroid checked? I had my mmc at 10 weeks due to mine being overactive. I’ve medicated ever since. No BFP yet though.

LisaSimpsonsbff Thu 02-Nov-17 14:03:47

I have - I'm actually 'lucky' (an odd way of putting it but you know what I mean!) because recurrent miscarriage seems to be one of the few fertility-related things that my CCG treat according to the guidelines, so I had the full set of standard tests within three months of my last (third) miscarriage. All within normal range, including my thyroid. Official diagnosis was (and I quote!) 'you've been a bit unfortunate but you just need to try again'... So we'll see. In some ways it's worse for my friends. Their GP pushed them to go private if they could, and of course that must be standard since at the end of the two year wait the absolute most they'll do is give you clomid (which subsequent private investigations revealed would never have helped them anyway because they're male factor) anyway, so why would anyone wait for that if they had a choice? It makes me so angry that it varies so much from place to place. Incidentally I haven't seen much evidence of what on earth my area is spending all the money it's not spending on IVF on!

LisaSimpsonsbff Thu 02-Nov-17 14:07:13

Anyway, didn't want to derail OP's thread, just to point out that unfortunately in some places (primarily in the south east of England) fertility services have been cut to the bone so it can sadly be a long wait for even basic NHS tests.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now