Talk

Advanced search

Ovulating at 16dpo. Is this even possible?

(23 Posts)
Somethininthewater Tue 31-Oct-17 09:48:35

16 days ago I got a positive OPK so went to work on DH... had a verrrry light period/possible IB at 10/11/12dpo and have been taking pregnancy tests like they’re going out for fashion. Had a couple of weird ‘lines’ yesterday but IC was bfn this morning. Just out of curiosity I just did an OPK and TWO of them are positive!! Is that even possible?!

CatSneeze Tue 31-Oct-17 09:53:03

A positive OPK is sometimes an indication of pregnancy.. I was getting a positive on OPKs before pregnancy showed up on Amazon cheapies. Fingers crossed!

ScarletSienna Tue 31-Oct-17 09:54:27

For me it was possible. I had a few really odd length cycles.

Somethininthewater Tue 31-Oct-17 10:02:14

Omg really catsneeze?! Don’t be giving me hope!!

Somethininthewater Tue 31-Oct-17 10:02:45

A 16 day cycle though? Just seems bonkers! NEVER happened before!

TerrifyingFeistyCupcake Tue 31-Oct-17 10:04:56

A positive OPK is sometimes an indication of pregnancy..

If an OPK turns positive because of pregnancy, so will a pregnancy test. They're not of any genuine use in diagnosing pregnancy.

It is possible that you had an LH surge but didn't actually ovulate 16 days ago. Sometimes your body gears up to ov multiple times in a cycle but it doesn't actually happen. A positive ovulation test isn't proof of ovulation and nor is a temp rise - the only proof is a scan.

ScarletSienna Tue 31-Oct-17 10:23:03

My odd cycles had never happened before either. They made it all really confusing!

physicskate Tue 31-Oct-17 11:03:15

You can also get an LH surge before the start of AF (I've been on here long enough to see many others get a positive opk before the start of AF).

SleepFreeZone Tue 31-Oct-17 11:09:29

I used to get positive opks just before my period was about to start. I've only ever tested positive for pregnancy using an opk if I was also showing as positive on a hpt.

Somethininthewater Tue 31-Oct-17 11:32:41

So, should I be dtd with DH tonight then just in case?? We did last night, luckily!

HeppyKestrel Tue 31-Oct-17 11:38:05

positive opk can be ovulation, pregnancy, or your period is due.

Somethininthewater Tue 31-Oct-17 12:09:59

So could be anything then?! Ugh!! I’m going to splash out on a frer and do it in the morning. If it’s negative, I give up! Will also be dtd tonight, just in case. Got to cover all bases haven’t you!!

SleepFreeZone Tue 31-Oct-17 12:11:37

I really recommend the Clearblue dual hormone sticks. I've always found them really accurate.

Oysterbabe Tue 31-Oct-17 12:20:46

I think you should buy a better pregnancy test to be sure. In my last pregnancy I knew I was pregnant from a strong line on an OPK. However as pp said, maybe you didn't actually ovulate a couple of weeks ago, your body prepared to then didn't for whatever reason and is having another go.

Somethininthewater Tue 31-Oct-17 12:33:41

Well I didn’t trust the first one I did, so did another and it was the same. My brain is fried from all this!!

Fia256 Tue 31-Oct-17 13:12:36

I don’t want to dash your hopes, and I really hope you get a bfp. But you can also get a LH surge right before AF arrives too. So doing ovulation tests as a form of cheap pregnancy tests actually aren’t reliable.

I did that last month, got really excited that I had this positive opk so must mean I’m pregnant, then af arrived the next day.

Sorry op don’t want to sound like I’ve come to ruin the party, but just don’t want you to have the disappointment I felt last month just incase x

Somethininthewater Tue 31-Oct-17 13:25:42

Dont apologise! That’s what I love about this site. So many different points of view and experiences. I do need to wee more today and I’m actually eating lunch at the moment(it’s McDonald’s but that’s fine!)
I’d be a bit relieved if af did show up. At least I’d know where the hell im up to. Either way, DH can expect a food night tonight! Hahaha

Somethininthewater Tue 31-Oct-17 22:31:12

Well, OPK is still coming up positive, hpt coming up negative, and still no af... officially a mystery! 🤷🏻‍♀️

MouseLove Tue 31-Oct-17 22:37:51

Your OPK will most likely be detecting your AF surge. It will usually arrive in a day or two. Sorry!! If it’s positive enough for an OPK it’s usually a very strong positive on a pregnancy test. Good luck!

Misssmoo Wed 01-Nov-17 00:38:40

I done the opk test and mine was a positive 1 day before a hpt...or could just be a weird cycle xxx

Somethininthewater Wed 01-Nov-17 06:40:23

Well, another day, another test to be done...I hate this part!

Misssmoo Wed 01-Nov-17 06:46:34

Good luck x

Somethininthewater Wed 01-Nov-17 07:28:44

Frer was bfn but OPK is still very positive! 🤦🏻‍♀️😩

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now