Talk

Advanced search

ttc but very light periods

(9 Posts)
mixie41 Mon 30-Oct-17 11:03:05

Hi there,

Sorry if this has already been asked before but I'm new here today after being recommended by a friend so thought I'd just come and ask...

Bf and I have agreed to start ttc, but I'm a bit worried that we're not going to have much luck. Sounds pessimistic, but I'm unsure if I will have sufficient uterine lining. My periods are regular(26-27 days) and I'm fairly sure I'm ovulating but I seem to have an unusually light af. It last 4-5 days but rarely requires a tampon/towel - I can usually get away with just wearing dark underwear or a thin liner. I'm 26 now - I think I used to have heavier periods when I was younger, but since I was about 16 I was either on the pill or the implant which made periods irregular anyway. However, I haven't been using any hormonal contraception for the last year so I don't think the lightness can be down to that still being in my system confused

Has anyone else managed to conceive with very light periods? Or is there something I should be doing to try and build up uterine lining or something?

Any advice appreciated!

RatRolyPoly Mon 30-Oct-17 11:10:10

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the science behind it, but from an anecdotal perspective my light periods didn't stop me conceiving my two with no problems. Our fairly half-hearted efforts achieved dc1 in several months and dc2 was a win first time round.

My periods sound very similar to yours and I only ever need those thin little liner type pads. I'm older than you too and was 30 when I conceived dc1 and 32 for dc2.

Twickerhun Mon 30-Oct-17 11:12:48

I have really light periods. 2-3 days and only use a lot get takpon for one day. I've had numerous linking scans which always Show a health endometrial lining so it doesn't seem to be a problem for me. I also hope it's not an issue for you.
If you are worried speak to your doctor.

mixie41 Mon 30-Oct-17 11:46:02

Thank you for your replies! That's really reassuring smile

JoJoSM2 Mon 30-Oct-17 12:16:13

My periods are pretty light (day, 1 med-heavy day + 2 very light/spotting). However, the lining was ‘award-winning’ when it was scanned ;) and generally very good on natural cycles.

If you’re concerned, you could always get a scan to get some reassurance.

Bubblegum89 Mon 30-Oct-17 12:33:13

I have very light periods (medium day one and brown spotting days 2-3) although they used to be much heavier. I apparently had a “perfect” lining when scanned earlier this year. I’ve been ttc for a year with no luck but I don’t think my periods are what is causing the issue. Good luck!

Needadvicetoleave Tue 31-Oct-17 14:28:43

Light periods are generally healthier (in fertility terms) than heavy.

Another light period person here, conceived first time.

Daisymalone Tue 31-Oct-17 15:52:28

This post is very reassuring. My periods only last around 3 days and are extremely light, (tmi- but I can barely fill a 'light' tampon on my heaviest day). On our 3rd cycle ttc so this gives me hope that it won't be an issue smile

MouseLove Tue 31-Oct-17 18:07:16

Sometimes it can be a sign of low progesterone or not having enough lining after ovulation. Your body can sometimes absorb things. It might be worth tracking when you ovulate in your cycle as I would assume you also have a short luteal phase.

Sadly I’ve been TTC for 14 months now, I have a luteal phase defect and light periods. I’m working on lengthening my luteal phase with vitamins, acupuncture and diet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now