Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant after what I thought was a period?

(11 Posts)
Mintykins4 Fri 27-Oct-17 20:44:06

I’m really confused. I came off the pill to allow my periods to settle before TTC next year. DC is 11months so there’s not a lot of bedroom action happening other than sleeping. I had three periods, the last of which finished two weeks ago and seemed normal. I’ve been feeling really rough and stuffing my face with food, I realised I felt like I had morning sickness but I also get IBS quite badly which has a similar effect. So to reassure myself this evening I took a pregnancy test. It said I’m pregnant. I bought and took two more and they said I’m 3+ weeks since conception, or 5+ since last LMP.

Do you think I could have miscarried a couple of weeks ago and the hormones are still in my system? I can’t understand how I can have had a period and be pregnant. Really sorry if this all sounds daft but I’m having a bit of a meltdown with the shock of it all!

Needadvicetoleave Fri 27-Oct-17 20:50:49

You could have miscarried, but unlikely to still have a strong positive.

Could have been a twin you lost, or implantation bleeding. Or could have been a fake period, some women do get them in pregnancy.

sazzle3 Fri 27-Oct-17 21:02:51

You can still be pregnant and get periods so my doctor has told me today. I'm having to get bloods taken next week coz I'm showing all the signs of pregnancy I.e feeling sick all the time, weeing more, heartburn, dizziness. My last 2 periods have only been 2 days and off by the 3rd day and very light ( normally I'm 5-7 days and so heavy it's unreal). They took a wee sample and I have the start of urine infection and (only ever had these at the start of a pregnancy as she looked on the computer). She said you can bleed all the way though pregnancy sometimes. Hope this helps a little xx

JoJoSM2 Fri 27-Oct-17 21:07:27

To get 3+ on the clear blue digi, you need to be very pregnant indeed. The urine hcg it detects is 2700 so there would probably be a gestational sac visible on an ultrasound and a heartbeat in another 1.5 weeks or so ;)

You wouldn't get these levels unless two weeks ago you had a horrid miscarriage towards the end of the first trimester but that wouldn't be mistaken for a period hmm

Mintykins4 Fri 27-Oct-17 21:23:01

Thanks so much for replying, really interesting to know about the hcg level of the test. When I was pregnant before I had light implantation spotting but this was like a proper period.

I’ll see if I can get in for a private scan tomorrow, or failing that during the week. I’ve actually been wandering around at work this week telling people I feel sick but I’m definitely not pregnant and laughing about it!

Good luck with your test @sazzle3 I did want another little one but not quite this soon, I’m sure I’ll get used to the idea, it’s just a bit of a shocker!

sazzle3 Fri 27-Oct-17 21:24:13

Cheers just need to get my bloods took on Thursday and go from there xx

Mrstobe90 Sat 28-Oct-17 00:34:14

My friend had a period at the very start of her pregnancy and her little boy is 5 now. It’s rare but it can happen! I hope you get some answers soon xx

JoJoSM2 Sat 28-Oct-17 07:09:45

Good luck and do update smile

Mintykins4 Sun 05-Nov-17 20:23:50

Hi all, just to let you know that I am indeed pregnant. Had a scan yesterday and I’m 8+6 today, all looking healthy and due in June. I’ve got a bit more used to the idea now, fingers crossed for a healthy pregnancy. Thanks for all your help!

Picklesandpies Mon 06-Nov-17 07:23:33

Congratulations! flowersflowers

JoJoSM2 Mon 13-Nov-17 11:37:35

Oh wow! 8+6! Congrats smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now