Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Ovulation

(21 Posts)
amy751 Fri 27-Oct-17 17:10:01

Me and my partner have been trying for a baby for a few months now and I recently purchased some ovulation sticks. I’ve been using the Flo app on my phone and have been getting so frustrated with it as according to it I was ovulating on Monday and have been doing tests everyday for a week with no positive results.....but today I got my first positive smile I am over the moon about it, which might seem silly, but I finally feel like we might be getting somewhere! I know it’s only a positive for ovulation but it’s a good start! I’m a bit confused about the best time to have sex though as every website I look at is different; some say it is before I get the positive, some say today and some say the next 3 days. Does anyone have any advice?

BandhaAid Fri 27-Oct-17 17:23:54

An ill picks up the surge of hormone that causes ovulation and it means ov will happen in the next 12 to 36 hours so I would do it today and the next three days. Good luck.

BandhaAid Fri 27-Oct-17 17:24:04

An OPK*

felicityheather Fri 27-Oct-17 17:25:26

As much sex close to your positive is good! Keep testing over the next few days to see how long your surge is for!

BandhaAid Fri 27-Oct-17 17:26:57

Some people choose to have sex for longer than three days in a row, just to be sure. Just try to have as much as you can, I guess!

GeekGirl751 Fri 27-Oct-17 17:40:28

Thank you smile I’m definitely going to test again tomorrow to see if the surge is still there

JoJoSM2 Fri 27-Oct-17 20:13:43

As much sex as poss - the more sperms get going, the better. You can't do it too soon as they can live for up to a few days.

GeekGirl751 Sat 28-Oct-17 20:22:14

Bit of an update; I have just done another ovulation test (28 hours after the first) and I’m still ovulating! Me and my partner had sex this morning and are going to again this evening so fingers crossed we fall pregnant. In people’s experiences, how long does their surge normally last?

Cupcakesandlove Sat 28-Oct-17 20:56:22

CAN I Ask hiwnlong your cycles are. IN having such a hard time at the min trying to predict ovulation as per the apps I’ve been using stated yesterday but I’ve had nothing on mhm ovulation sticks and my cycles are only 25 days, and ovulation after day 14 more than likely mean I will never have a viable pregnancy

GeekGirl751 Sat 28-Oct-17 21:27:17

To be honest I don’t actually know. I came off birth control a few months back for the first time in 10 years so my cycle has been a bit up and down. I’m using an app as well and just updating it daily so that it works out my cycle and then hopefully I will get a better understanding of it. Just keep using the ovulation tests everyday until you get a positive; it’s what I had to do unfortunately. What time do you test?

Cupcakesandlove Sat 28-Oct-17 22:18:53

I test about one in the afternoon

GeekGirl751 Sat 28-Oct-17 22:29:39

Maybe try later in the day and see if that changes anything. Have you been testing for long?

Cupcakesandlove Sun 29-Oct-17 10:45:35

Only been testing a week, but been off the pill since jan and have been tracking as per the fertility friend app, so I was going by that. Was suppose to be ovulating on Saturday... but didn’t as per the one step ovulation kits. I think I’ve lost all hope now it doesn’t look like I ovulate. I only have 25
Day cycles and they are regular but ovulation after day 14 of my cycle won’t be a viable pregnancy if I even do fall pregnant. It’s just really rubbish, I do have a daughter though so I suppose that’s that and I need to put this to bed now.
I’m really gutted though I either don’t ovulate ovulate really early or too late... it’s all pants! I feel envious of those who dtd once and are pregnant never mind x

GeekGirl751 Sun 29-Oct-17 11:16:25

To be honest I don't think the apps are that accurate; I use the Flo app and it tells me I should be on my period when I'm not etc. My app told me I should be ovulating on Monday but I didn't get a positive until Friday so I wouldn't give up hope. When I came off the pill my doctor told me that if we hadn't been successful after a year of trying to go see her as they will need to do some tests; if you've been trying since January I would maybe go to see a doctor, it's better for them to say nothing is wrong that to just give up hope. Why won't it be a viable pregnancy if it's after day 14? Don't just put it to bed though, you need to see a doctor first before giving up!

Cupcakesandlove Sun 29-Oct-17 11:27:02

Hi geek girl, thank you for the virtual hugs!
I’ve seen my gp, but because of age and same father as my dd they don’t think there is an issue. I had bloods drawn all hormone levels are fine I also had day 21 bloods taken but they were drawn at the wrong time so came back negitive...
I was told that because of my short cycle by day 14 my womb would be getting ready to shed for my period so any egg that is there will be ready to be realessed for menstrwl cycle.
I don’t mean to bombard another thread either I’m sorry I’ll go on my own x

GeekGirl751 Sun 29-Oct-17 11:32:39

If you’ve had tests done and they’ve said there’s nothing to worry about then maybe try to stop stressing about it. I know it’s easier said than done but the more you stress about it the less likely it is to happen. How old are you, if you don’t mind me asking?

Cupcakesandlove Sun 29-Oct-17 11:38:30

Hi,
I don’t mind at all. I’m 26 my partner is 27. I’m overweight though. From my previous pregnancy dare I say two years ago!!!
Here’s my opk from just now. Top one I waited 20 min as per the instructions then dipped. The bottom one I dipped straight away. The control line is closest to the green.
What do you think?
Do you think ovulation is near or is that a positive

felicityheather Sun 29-Oct-17 11:49:53

I wouldn't say it's a positive yet but hopefully only a day or two away! Can't hurt to start having sex now anyway!

Cupcakesandlove Sun 29-Oct-17 11:51:28

Thank you- I’m on cycle day 13 out of a 25 day cycle would you say ovulating on day 15+ is too late for a viable pregnancy as this is what I was told by someone else?

felicityheather Sun 29-Oct-17 15:26:21

Ovulating on cd 15 of a 25 day cycle would mean a 10 day luteal phase which is a little short but not crazy short. Also the length of last cycle is not necessarily the length of this cycle! You might ovulate 'late' on cycle day 18 and then have a 32 day cycle and a perfect 14 day luteal phase.

This cycle I ovulated on CD 39!

Cupcakesandlove Sun 29-Oct-17 19:27:57

That’s very true. I am usually like clockwork. I actually gave up earlier but seeing that darker line has given me a glimmer of hope that I might actually be ovulating and just have been dtd at the wrong time - based on the apps. If we are talking about ovulating happening exactly two weeks after your last period it would make it on Tuesday, but that’s cycle day 15... I have no idea how I even managed to conceive the first time!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: