Talk

Advanced search

To test or not to test-that is the question...

(8 Posts)
Laney79 Fri 27-Oct-17 14:06:05

Hi. Newbie here. Have been on the pill (currently Mercilon) for around 20 years and have just decided to "stop trying not to" have a baby. So finished my last pack, withdrawal bleed as usual 28th sept-2nd oct. I've no idea what my natural cycle is like but I've always had some pre period symptoms (achy boobs, cramping Tum) but nothing at all this month yet. I downloaded a tracker thing and that's now saying I'm a day late...so too early to test? Is my stress/paranoia over am I Preggers or aren't I interfering with my cycle? the tracker has me on tenterhooks, but don't want to test if it's too early for a trustworthy result. Help!

GetBackUpAgain Fri 27-Oct-17 14:25:18

A day after your period due would normally be picked up on a pregnancy test, but after just stopping the pill your cycle is obviously not as easy to track. I can never wait, so always buy really cheap tests as I literally pee’d on a stick every day, from a few days before period due (sometimes more than once😬). I saved my digital/clear blue to confirm a faint line 😁

JoJoSM2 Fri 27-Oct-17 15:21:52

Tbh who know what your body might do after 20 years of the system being shut down? It might take months or even a year for you to have regular cycles. Having said that, it’s possible to become pregnant straight after coming off the pill so you could take a test.

It’d be also useful to try and pinpoint when you ovulate by temping, OPKs, CM etc as that will give you more insight into what’s going on.

BandhaAid Fri 27-Oct-17 15:50:12

It can take a while for your cycles to settle down or for ovulation to even start happening after coming off the pill. It is possible to fall pregnant too, of course, but I agree with the above- try using things to pinpoint ovulation.

Laney79 Fri 27-Oct-17 15:57:21

Although I didn't test as such I did notice changes in discharge part way through the cycle-and from what I've read it's an indicator of ovulation (sorry if TMI -but egg white sticky-ish?)...but not scientific I know. blush

JoJoSM2 Fri 27-Oct-17 20:20:22

Nothing is TMI on these boards grin The CM you describe happens in your fertile window normally. However, it’s no guarantee that ovulation has happened hence its useful to try different methods.

Laney79 Sun 29-Oct-17 07:38:04

So I did a test (just a cheapie from tesco) yesterday and it was negative...the app I've downloaded is telling me I'm three days late, and still no signs of AF...so how long should I leave it before testing again? I'm assuming it's because of being on the pill so long my body is freaking out but feeling very nervous with no AF and no positive test! What's going on with my bonkers body!?!!

chocolatepudandchocolatesauce Sun 29-Oct-17 08:08:38

After stopping taking the pill it took 6 weeks before i had my first proper period. The month after that I waited until testing. DH convinced me maybe my period would come at six weeks again. I had no symptoms at all. By the time I tested I was 8 weeks pregnant. Fantastic! Less time to wait for baby to arrive smile so just be patient. I would bother with all these apps just yet. Just get sexing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now