Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Give me strength... coming off the mini pill

(7 Posts)
TheSarahChronicles Tue 24-Oct-17 10:33:25

Hi there everyone,

I know that there have been several threads on similar topics already but I'm feeling really crestfallen and stressed (which I know isn't great for TTC).

I recently came off the pill after 6 years on the combined, 3 years implant and 2 on the mini pill.

Previously even if I was a little late taking the mini pill (zelleta) I had a withdrawal bleed... now I'm actively TTC and have come off the pill, nothing since I finished my last pack 4 weeks ago, not even spotting and several BFN's (yes I'm already obsessed with POAS).

I've been with my husband 11 years now (married for 1 as of next week) and am currently 27y/o. I unfortunately made the decision to have an abortion when I was 16 shortly after we met due to a series of devastating circumstances. (I know this may be a sensitive subject for many and I would appreciate no judgement).

When do you think it is sensible for me to start worrying that I have done permanent damage to my body? I am terrified that making that decision when I was so young truly will haunt me forever (more so than it already does).

Has anyone else been through something similar and either shares my anxieties or has a positive story to share?

Thank you in advance xxxx

physicskate Tue 24-Oct-17 11:04:24

Calm down. It’s very normal to take awhile for things to ‘go back to normal’ as your body now needs to make hormones it was getting from the pill.

If you haven’t had a bleed in a couple more months I’d head to the gp. If you haven’t conceived in a year or so, head to the gp.

Throw out what you were taught in sex Ed about having sex resulting in pregnancy all the time. You’ve got about a 20% chance each cycle.

creampie Tue 24-Oct-17 11:07:19

It can take around a year to 18 months for things to return to normal after hormonal contraception. However, it's usually quicker.

I know it's frustrating but it's very early to be worrying about any permanent damage. Just give it time x

79andnotout Tue 24-Oct-17 12:18:18

Hi, I was on the progesterone only pill for years, and if I missed a pill or two I'd have a breakthrough bleed, but it took three months for my periods to come back after I stopped taking the pill, and a further six months or so for my cycles to start getting regular again.

I also had an abortion when I was younger. I'm not expecting any repercussions from that.

The pill can mess you up for a while, or you can conceive pretty quickly. But it's normal, either way.

MouseLove Tue 24-Oct-17 13:44:56

Took me over 2 months to get my period. A dr would usually investigate or prescribe something after 4. Before then, don’t worry. Try to relax and occupy yourself with nice days out or events. Please don’t let yourself get obsessed at this early stage or you’ll end up driving yourself mad. 14 months in now and need to keep my sanity.

Oysterbabe Tue 24-Oct-17 15:03:44

My first few cycles off the mini pill were 40 days. Completely normal.

TheSarahChronicles Tue 24-Oct-17 19:22:00

Thank you so very much for the reassuring responses. It's certainly good to hear this is perfectly normal... I know obviously that there's a slim chance of pregnancy each month, I guess I just wished I'd been better informed about how unpredictable the return to 'normal' cycles can be blushI will try and take the pressure off myself this early in the day, and whilst I knew conceiving wouldn't necessarily happy quickly, I foolishly expected my cycles and hormones be back to a natural rhythm without hitch. Thank you again for the responses xxx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: