Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Those with PCOS and using metformin...

(9 Posts)
Pickle0 Mon 23-Oct-17 22:28:15

I am only on day 5 of metformin, 1 tablet a day for 1 week before incresing it to 2 tablets, then 3 the next week. I have been taking ovulation tests with no positive result, just wondering from everyones experiences:

How long it took for AF to arrive
How long you first cycle was when taking metformin
& did you ovulate on your first cycle when taking metformin?

The success stories I have been reading about metformin are great!

Pickle0 Tue 24-Oct-17 12:22:46

B

peachesarenom Thu 26-Oct-17 18:38:13

I'm in a similar situation. Interested to hear too!

Pickle0 Fri 27-Oct-17 17:02:50

Not getting any replies, sorry not much help lol

Holdbacktheriver Sat 28-Oct-17 01:02:35

It’s been a long time since I’ve taken metformin so I’m not sure I’m much help but will at least keep this bumped smile

I really struggled with it if I’m honest. I got up to 3 tablets as consultant had said sometimes if you up it, it gets better. It didn’t work that way for me. It really messed with my digestive system. I couldn’t eat any meat, fish, eggs or cheese. No carbs or sugar or anything with any fat in like nuts or avocado otherwise the loo was my best friend blush

I did lose quite a lot of weight very quickly and this did give me 30ish day cycles, I was previously around the 60-70 day mark.

It didn’t work for me but I wasn’t able to give it long enough as I was spending more time in the loo than anywhere else or struggling with a very restricted diet and it was making life impossible. I have heard wonderful things about it though if you can stick with it.

JustPutSomeGlitterOnIt Sat 28-Oct-17 01:09:55

Hello, I got pregnant within 8 days shock! So honestly can't report on AF on it haha.
This was last year. No side effects that I remember, and I was on it a month before realising I didn't need to be taking it any more grin

We ended up with twins though, so be careful grin!

Good luck smile

anxiouswaiting Sat 28-Oct-17 11:37:49

I was already having periods when I started Metformin but I wasn't ovulating.

I started it in Jan and we started ttc july, I was pregnant in August.

I found my tummy couldn't handle standard Metformin but changed to slow release (glucophage) and am on 1000mg twice a day and clearly that got me ovulating again.

LG93 Tue 31-Oct-17 14:33:35

I found cycles regulated pretty much straight away, but I still never ovulate. AF arrived a couple of weeks into taking it, first cycle after that was 27 days, all others have been 32-33 days, with the odd anomaly a bit longer.

LG93 Tue 31-Oct-17 14:37:34

Should say, I'm another who swapped to extended/slow release. Once I got up to 3 a day I found I was permanently nauseous as by the time the morning doses nausea wore off I had to take my evening dose and it started all over again. Slow release is much more palatable

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now