Talk

Advanced search

Morning after pill fail?

(10 Posts)
xoxoGossipGirl Mon 23-Oct-17 20:55:00

I slept with a guy! With a condom oh unfortunately it came off inside of me (lovely) he cummed and we didn’t realise this until after the reason we used something was because I was ovulating on that exact day! I took the morning after pill roughly a day and abit after (because no pharmacy close to me was open) what are the chances of it failing because it was a day and abit after ovulation?

JoJoSM2 Mon 23-Oct-17 21:32:53

You might want to seek further advice. The morning after pill works by preventing the ovaries from releasing an egg. It sounds like you might have taken it too late. The NHS suggest using an IUD as that can be effective even 5 days later.

Also, if you 'sleep with a guy', it's advisable to use condoms at any time to lower the risk STIs.

ALittleMoreEducation Mon 23-Oct-17 21:37:06

According to this article
www.theguardian.com/world/2006/nov/24/gender.lifeandhealth

emergency contraception has a 95% success rate within 24 hours, which falls to just 58% between 49 and 72 hours.

You should be fine as you are just over 24 hours provided you took it correctly and haven't vomited.

ALittleMoreEducation Mon 23-Oct-17 21:38:23

If you worried seek medical advice from your GP or a clinic.

Girliefriendlikesflowers Mon 23-Oct-17 21:40:13

Hmm I had a very similar experience and now have a very lovely dd sleeping upstairs! I was told the MAP only has 86% chance of working but that may have changed.

NorthernLurker Mon 23-Oct-17 21:41:09

I think you were given bad advice to take the pill. A coil would have been better.

Nandoshoes Mon 23-Oct-17 21:41:22

@jojo she did use a condom. Did you not read the thread.

JoJoSM2 Tue 24-Oct-17 06:00:53

@Nandoshoes

Did you read it? the reason we used something was because I was ovulating on that exact day!

As she implies that she doesn’t always use condoms, I think it’s important to mention it increases the risk of STIs.

bubblegumunicorn Tue 24-Oct-17 07:09:35

It happened to me, condom split took the morning after pill and then ended up pregnant then I had to go through an abortion which was traumatic, it depends on if you have. Ovulated and which pill you take the copper coil is the most effective though even though it’s a bitch to have put in better than having to go through the psychological trauma of an abortion or having a child your not totally ready for. It takes away that decision.

From someone who’s been there hope everything works out for you! Xx

bubblegumunicorn Tue 24-Oct-17 07:11:53

Also just going to add I took it with in an hour as we loved opposite the GUM clinic at the time so early is also not a guarantee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now