Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Pregnancy wouldn't be possible in these circumstances would it?

(12 Posts)
KitKat1985 Sat 21-Oct-17 15:30:29

Hi all.

I have 2 DDs and no intention of having any more DCs. I'm on the mini pill and take it religiously at the same time of day and have never missed one. Me and DH last had sex last Monday the 9th Oct. All fine, except on Sunday the 15th I picked up an awful D&V bug from DD1. I did take the prescribed pill as normal but threw up afterwards (and for several hours after) so I almost certainly threw it up. I wasn't particularly worried re: pregnancy because it had been 6 days since I last had sex and I know sperm only live about 3-4 days normally post-sex. I just made a mental note to make sure to use a barrier method of contraception if we had sex again in the following 7 days as advised on the packet. All fine, except this morning when I woke up I had a small amount of pinky blood on the tissue when I wiped (only a small amount and no more since). I've never had breakthrough bleeding on the mini pill before and the only time I've really had similar light, pink bleeding before was implantation bleeding which I had at the start of both pregnancies. So now, as you can imagine, I'm panicking a bit. It would be too soon to take a test right now so not much I can do for a bit, but the chances are really, really slim right since it had been a whole 6 days between having sex and being ill?

4thtime Sat 21-Oct-17 16:47:57

Don't want to read and run, I honestly don't know about ttc, never tracked cycles or looked for syptoms, I'd just test to make sure when your period is due (hopefully this will bump your post too)

Hawkmoth Sat 21-Oct-17 16:51:38

The mini pill doesn't always suppress ovulation. Have a look into how it works and see what you think.

AllTheWhoresOfMalta Sat 21-Oct-17 16:52:54

I would have thought it was almost impossible but not totally. However you'd have to be very unlucky, the chances must be vanishingly small. All you can do is wait and see (I know that's not helpful) but I'm keeping everything crossed for you.

ParkheadParadise Sat 21-Oct-17 16:59:02

I got pregnant with dd2 when I was on the mini pill, I didn't have a bug and took it every day. It can happen. I didn't find out till I was nearly 20 weeksblush. Even worse Dd1 was 23 at the time, to say I was shocked is an understatement.

I think your chances are slim, but not impossible. Take a test.

KitKat1985 Sat 21-Oct-17 16:59:34

Thank you. Logically I think the chances of pregnancy must be so tiny, and it's probably more likely that the pill I threw up has just thrown my cycle a bit out of whack so I'm having a bit of breakthrough bleeding. But, there's a seed of doubt now. Not worth taking a test for a few days yet though so just have to stew on it for a few days I guess and try to put it to the back of my mind. Thank you for the supportive replies. x

KitKat1985 Sat 21-Oct-17 17:01:39

ParkheadParadise I don't think even if I was pregnant that it would show on a test for a few days yet. x

ParkheadParadise Sat 21-Oct-17 17:06:47

@KitKat1985 I agree it was probably a bit of breakthrough bleeding.

KitKat1985 Sat 21-Oct-17 17:17:49

Yeah logically I think you are probably right Parkhead. Maybe I need this as a reminder to get on with nagging DH to get his vasectomy done!

BertieBotts Sat 21-Oct-17 17:27:59

It would be shockingly unlikely but I am afraid it is possible. The thing that pill packets never mention is that you can get pregnant if you've had sex in the 7 days before the missed pill - probably because by that point, there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Which day did you finish the pack? Was that less than 7 days after the missed one? And/or was the missed pill less than 7 days from the beginning of the pack?

To get pregnant from this you'd have to lose on several odds -

- First that the sperm survived for at least 6 days, which is possible, we know they can live up to 7 days. But we know they are in their best shape for about 3-4 days.

- Second, that the missed pill even allowed for ovulation, which isn't guaranteed. If you'd been taking them for seven days before and after, then it's unlikely to be a large enough break from hormones to allow you to ovulate.

- Third, even if you did ovulate, that that ovulation occurred the same day or the day after the missed pill, in order to come into contact with this elderly 6-7 day old sperm.

- Fourth, even if all of those things matched up perfectly, there's still only a 20-25% chance to conceive anyway.

Test in a week, but I think it's quite unlikely.

79andnotout Sat 21-Oct-17 19:20:21

I took the progesterone only pill for years and if I missed one or two I would get breakthrough bleeding. It is likely just that.

KitKat1985 Sat 21-Oct-17 21:22:24

Bertie - the pill I'm on is desogestrel so there's no break on it and it normally stops my periods completely.

I agree that now I've calmed down a bit that the most likely thing is that the pill I missed by vomiting up probably just threw my hormones out a bit and triggered a bit of spotting, as the odds of pregnancy having occurred in those circumstances are so unlikely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now