Talk

Advanced search

Would you have a drink when TTC?

(25 Posts)
stellarfox Sat 21-Oct-17 14:08:13

Hello I've come off the pill this month so it's unlikely I am pregnant but I have not been drinking at all as I haven't been sure if I should or not just in case. However I am going out with some friends later and I was wondering is it ok to have a drink (not loads) whilst TTC? If there are any risks at this stage I won't have any but I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys on this! Thanks for your help!

wowbutter Sat 21-Oct-17 14:08:47

Yes, of course, why wouldn't you?

stellarfox Sat 21-Oct-17 14:13:29

I'm asking just in case there is a chance I am pregnant. I might not have been clear enough, I did come off the pill about a month ago so there is a chance I'm pregnant but only a small one!

Bubblegum89 Sat 21-Oct-17 14:23:32

Yes you can drink whilst ttc. There’s a saying that I see around a lot of ttc forums; “drink til it’s pink” basically, until you get a positive pregnancy test, you can drink whatever you want.

BuzzKillington Sat 21-Oct-17 14:25:21

I would say a very high proportion of babies are conceived when the parents are pissed. So yes.

physicskate Sat 21-Oct-17 14:37:53

I wouldn't have survived the last 20 months of ttc without alcohol.

Sad, depressing, but true.

PinkHeart5914 Sat 21-Oct-17 14:40:15

Yes absolutely! I think when you start stopping doing things and putting life on hold ttc can get bloody despressing.

MamaOfTwos Sat 21-Oct-17 15:24:37

You can't put life on hold until you get a positive. I'm currently pg with DC2, conceived whilst more than tipsyblush

stellarfox Sat 21-Oct-17 15:38:58

Ahh that's really good news, thank you all! I shall enjoy a few glasses of wine tonight in that case!

LisaSimpsonsbff Sat 21-Oct-17 16:46:30

Just another one to reassure you - I asked a miscarriage expert this question and he told me that while I shouldn't binge drink while TTC, that was because I shouldn't binge drink anyway; he said I should try and live my life as normally as possible, and that whether things go right and wrong is nearly always to do with things you have absolutely no control over.

TonicAndTonic Sat 21-Oct-17 16:50:26

You can't put life on hold until you get a positive.

Agree wholeheartedly with this! What if it takes ages? You have to make enough changes when you get your bfp, don't rush to live like a puritan quite yet!

TerrifyingFeistyCupcake Sat 21-Oct-17 19:47:54

Even if you'd just conceived, your baby isn't sharing your blood supply just at first anyway so isn't really going to get exposed to any alcohol.

Have a drink. Don't live like you're pregnant until you're actually pregnant or you'll just make yourself miserable and crazy.

Darkstar4855 Sat 21-Oct-17 21:14:45

There's no reason why you can't drink sensibly whilst ttc however I try to abstain during the 2ww as I feel that way I'm being healthier and also when AF comes I can treat myself to a drink as a very small consolation.

AccrualIntentions Sat 21-Oct-17 21:16:40

Oh god yes, it took me 2 1/2 years to conceive, I needed a fucking drink! In the interests of being healthy etc it's obviously best in moderation but a drink or two won't have any effect.

TwinkleTwinkleLittleEtoile Sat 21-Oct-17 21:21:35

I would. I did.

MmmMalbec Sun 22-Oct-17 04:49:42

Had a good few glasses of wine during both my TWW when I turned out to the pregnant. I wouldn’t worry and like others said just stop when you actually get the positive! Good luck!

Mamabooksbabynumber2 Sun 22-Oct-17 08:38:38

My motto is drink till it's pink! Ie you get a line.

Beibg ttc for 9 months. Don't put your life on hold. X

Oysterbabe Sun 22-Oct-17 09:13:35

Being pregnant is pretty shit in lots of ways (and amazing in others obv.) so definitely don't prolong the misery by acting pregnant already.

stellarfox Sun 22-Oct-17 16:34:46

Thanks again all, it's really reassuring!

Magpie24 Sun 22-Oct-17 18:33:51

Just to add a slightly different perspective, when I told my doctor I was TTC he told me to abstain from alcohol. But as the other posters say, I think everything in moderation is fine. Binge drinking is never a good idea whether pregnant or not!

cannonball8726 Sun 22-Oct-17 19:00:07

I have the odd glass - never been much of a drinker. But agree: TTC is torture enough, definitely not going to deny myself too much!

Needadvicetoleave Sun 22-Oct-17 19:50:49

I would, I did, I would again if there was ever a next time.

Figgygal Sun 22-Oct-17 19:56:14

You can't deny yourself when ttc is such an uncertain thing. I found out I was pg with ds2 2 days after the drunkest night I'd had since ds1 it was a bloody crazy night he's completely fine.

NoWordForFluffy Mon 23-Oct-17 08:25:46

The month I got my BFP with DD was seriously boozy as I had my hen do and a friend came over from Oz for the wedding so a good few drinks were drunk on her arrival! I was hungover when I got my BFP. 😂

mummykezza Mon 23-Oct-17 11:05:04

I think it's ok until you know for sure. With myfirst pregnancy I drank until I knew I was pregnant and he was born as healthy as a baby could be.

however, I miscarried a few weeks ago and was drinking in my tww so I felt a little guilty afterwards. Of course it could have been a number of factors but it's made me nervous so now I'm in my next tww and I'll just wait until I get a positive or AF. Can console myself if AF arrives. But that's just me and my feelings after the miscarriage. But like I said, my first was born very healthy x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now