Talk

Advanced search

Using OPKs as PTs?

(9 Posts)
Marigold83 Thu 19-Oct-17 09:03:40

Hi,

I've heard that the LH and HCG proteins in urine are so similar that a OPK can pick a BFP. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience of testing like this, and if so, what were the results?

Photo of my 2nd MU (blush) with OPK attached. I did a FRER straight after, but BFN.

Thanks.

TiramisuQueenoftheFaeries Thu 19-Oct-17 09:07:32

A) it's only when the OPK is positive ie test line darker than control, b) if it works it would also show rather more accurately on a pregnancy test. Positive opk around the time your period is due is not the same thing as a positive pregnancy test.

It's something that can give you a clue if you don't have a pregnancy test to hand, but that's all. The only way to confirm pregnancy is with a pregnancy test

Poptart4 Thu 19-Oct-17 14:43:02

There was a lady on another thread who got a very positive ovulation test the day before she was due af. She was convinced she was pregnant but the next day af arrived on time. So I don't think it works at all. Just use a pregnancy test. You can get cheap ones in the pound shop

JoJoSM2 Thu 19-Oct-17 14:45:13

I’ve heard about the hormones being very similar. However, as PP said you need a pregnancy test to confirm pregnancy.

SupermarketSally Thu 19-Oct-17 14:47:05

I had a strong positive on an OPK at 12 DPO but I had just had a positive pregnancy test and done the OPK out of curiosity.

I wouldn't trust a positive OPK without a positive pregnancy test, and that isn't a positive OPK

Marigold83 Thu 19-Oct-17 14:48:39

Thanks @TiramisuQueenoftheFaeries and @Poptart4. I'm only 8dpo and never usually test until at least 12dpo, but I've had some very unusual symptoms (for me anyway). I didn't want to use up my FRER unless I felt I had good reason, and being out of IC's I thought I'd try a OPK to see what happened. Anyway, more IC's are now on order. Fx for all xx

juneybean Thu 19-Oct-17 15:17:46

We always have traces of LH in our urine I believe...

Marigold83 Thu 19-Oct-17 15:21:37

A-ha! Thanks @ juneybean. That's today's mystery solved then smile. Thanks all.

thenewaveragebear1983 Thu 19-Oct-17 17:19:40

I used the very cheapy ones from Amazon and got a positive opk the day my period was due (had bought them to start TTC and they arrived and thought I'd try one out.....) and was pregnant. So in that instance it was correct although as I hadn't actually used them to detect ovulation at all I don't know if they would have done that anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now