Talk

Advanced search

TTC/ PCOS/ metformin success stories?

(19 Posts)
Pickle0 Tue 17-Oct-17 20:10:00

Irregular periods, been off pill for almost 3 years, went to see DR after going 4 months without a period. Multiple blood test and a transvaginal scan = confirmed today with DR that I have PCOS. DR has prescribed metformin. She says this can help when TTC with PCOS and wants me to try it for 6 months before sending partner off for tests then a possible referral to a fertility clinic. I have not tried any medication as yet so I am willing to give it a go. Am looking for everyone to share their metformin experiences. Thanks x

bucketfullofwater Tue 17-Oct-17 20:19:31

I was prescribed it for pcos (after a struggle though - consultant wouldn't given it to me but the junior doctor I saw at a different appointment offered it, so took them up on it)

Initially I was prescribed it to try before Clomid, but never needed the Clomid- got pregnant 3 weeks after starting metformin. It was potentially just good luck but I'm convinced it was the metformin that helped me get pregnant- I hadn't really been having periods before then

deaddeadgood Tue 17-Oct-17 20:24:48

How old are you? That seems a bit relaxed if you're a bit older. I'd be pushing for onward referral and starting clomid/letrozole or at least be in the waiting list for the clinic.
I took met for ages but was ultimately successful with letrozole.
Good luck

AccrualIntentions Tue 17-Oct-17 20:29:02

My doctor went a similar route as tbh the wait for an appointment after referral to the fertility clinic was about 4 or 5 months anyway so she said I might as well try metformin in the meantime. For me, it didn't work to help me ovulate but I think it did help with my weight loss which had otherwise plateaued a bit at the point. I still needed Clomid in the end, but I know lots of people seem to get good results with metformin. Good luck smile

Pickle0 Tue 17-Oct-17 21:01:04

Thanks for the replies girls. I am 25, hearing lots of good things about metformin despite the unwanted side effects, but willing to give it a go!!

BubbleFrog Tue 17-Oct-17 21:03:50

I concieved my DD after 6 months taking it first time round and have been trying for two years unsuccessfully without it for another baby. Just got a BFP on the weekend after my second month back on it..

YouBoggleMyMind Tue 17-Oct-17 21:05:52

I didn’t have metformin on its own but it made clomid work for me (insulin resistance). I wasn’t able to take the full dose of 1500mg but built up to 1000mg and my stomach could manage it.

Pickle0 Tue 17-Oct-17 21:08:22

Ah congrats BubbleFrog.

I have a stupid question (about to read up on it) that I did not ask DR, now that I have been given the repeat prescription, I did not ask when to start taking it.

I went 4 months without a period then got one that lasted 16 days and haven't had one again scince, so now on "CD47" and still no sign. Can I start taking met straight away or do I have to wait until i have my next period naturally, then start taking it?

Also, she's told me to take 1 tablet with breakfast for 1 week, then 2 tablets for 1 week, then 3 tablets... presumably I continue taking 3 tablets every day for as long as needed (she's told me to go back after 6 months)

Pickle0 Tue 17-Oct-17 21:59:07

B

18mnthsandcounting Tue 17-Oct-17 22:05:55

I have pcos also they wouldn't prescribe me metformin, I had clomid for 6 months got pregnant and miscarried at 8 weeks. Now they've given me letrozole @deadeadgood how long did it take you to get pregnant on letrozole? X

Fenced1010 Tue 17-Oct-17 22:15:36

Skip the meds’ and try low carbing for a few months!

vgiraffe Tue 17-Oct-17 22:16:41

My periods stopped for several months after coming off the pill. Next period almost immediately after starting metformin (didn't have to wait for a period before starting it). One more period 6 weeks later and then got pregnant with DD. Could be coincidence but I'll def be asking to go back on it when ttc again.

deaddeadgood Wed 18-Oct-17 07:00:51

@18 about 3 cycles

Pickle0 Wed 18-Oct-17 07:11:08

18mnthsandcounting, how comes they will not give you metformin??

Fenced, I have been doing that anyway

Pickle0 Wed 18-Oct-17 19:40:43

B

18mnthsandcounting Wed 18-Oct-17 21:55:45

They said because I'm not overweight, but I kno other people with pcos who have had metformin who are also not overweight 😕 So I'm giving letrozole a try x

YouBoggleMyMind Thu 19-Oct-17 17:22:25

You can start metformin whenever and just make sure you take it with food. Defo build up the dose, 1 a day for the first week, 2 a day for the 2nd week and of you can tolerate it, 3 a day for the 3rd week and continue like that until you run out. I could only tolerate 2 a day. Metformin takes a while to build up and work. Good luck!

Pickle0 Thu 19-Oct-17 18:22:11

Thanks everyone for the replies. Took my first one this morning and will be taking 2 next week then 3 the following week. Thanks for sharing your stories xx

ShuttyTown Thu 19-Oct-17 18:58:04

Worked excellently for me. I now have 2 DC’s.

Good luck OP flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: