Talk

Advanced search

Cystitis, but the right time!

(12 Posts)
itshappening Tue 17-Oct-17 18:33:37

OPK indicate high fertility, they have done for the past three days. Had sex the day before yesterday but not yesterday, decided to push to every other day as felt I was getting cystitis. It is worse today, shall I do it again anyway? It will hurt and maybe make it worse, but I am 40 with no children and a miscarriage/ many failed cycles ttc behind me? Someone remind me why this is meant to be fun...

Hulaballoo Tue 17-Oct-17 19:48:23

To help with cystitis see if you can drink lots of water with a squeeze of lemon juice (fresh or the type you user on pancakes) or water with half teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate mixed in. They both really help. I suppose it's down to how painful it is at the moment and if it's likely to get worse. If it were me I'd rest and hope previous times have been enough.

Hulaballoo Tue 17-Oct-17 19:48:36

Forgot to say feel better soon x

Peanutty86 Tue 17-Oct-17 20:57:08

I had a really bad cystitis the other day (urine was the colour of grapefruit juice, so a lot of blood). Had it before and alway got antibiotics for it. This time I was 9dpo and although I had asked to antibiotics, I didn’t want to take them. I drank about 2 Liters of cranberry juice (I actually found full berry juice, so no extract and more like a smoothie), by the evening it was almost completely gone. Maybe get him on it and ready and the just let him finish off inside you? Get better soon!

Bubblegum89 Tue 17-Oct-17 21:00:50

I have recurrent cystitis. Cranberry juice used to be used to ease symptoms but it actually doesn’t help that much, it’s only good for preventing it. You can get powder sachets in most supermarkets or in Boots. You mix them in water and they are an absolute godsend. I would say that you may as well just dtd anyway. My dr told me cystisis isn’t an infection and is just an irritation/inflammation so yes, sex will aggravate it and it will be very painful but you can’t pass it to your partner or anything and as long as afterwards you drink a tonne of water and get hold of those sachets, you’ll be okay

itshappening Tue 17-Oct-17 21:47:49

Thank you, I may brave it (if DP ever gets back from work!) and just keep drinking lots. Peanutty that sounds so painful, you poor thing! Probably will try your idea, not exactly height of romance grin but then not much about this is! I will try and get some of the sachets and go for a prevention type strategy too. Sympathies to everyone who gets this, it is horrible.

Booksandstuff Wed 18-Oct-17 11:44:37

I suffer with it really bad and it is so painful. Water, water, water all the way! Those sachets from Boots are good too. I find taking a couple of paracetamol help. I reckon Peanutty's idea is a good one. Sex (and alcohol) always makes it worse for me. Get better soon!

EverythingNow Wed 18-Oct-17 15:57:25

I also suffer recurrent cystitis and have completely missed my fertile window this month because of it. I’m feeling better today but I think it’s too late.

I don’t find anything helps aside from antibiotics now. I hope you feel better! Good luck xx

itshappening Wed 18-Oct-17 18:06:39

Thanks Books, DP was a bit surprised to see 6 litre bottles of water had disappeared! I told him tap water not good for it round here smile. I went with Peanutty's plan and it didn't hurt at the time but afterwards there was a bit of blood on loo paper, sorry if tmi. Decided not to panic about that as probably just because I had aggravated cystitis. Everything sorry to hear that... It might be worth a try today maybe? On the other hand you don't want it to come back! I am a bit unsure about the fertile window, last month according to the OPKs I didn't have one which can't be good.

Meggimoo Thu 19-Oct-17 11:28:20

You’re a brave lady @itshappening well done! I’ve had lots of UTI’s and nothing except antibiotics works for me. I have been wondering though, I always go to the loo after dtd to try to prevent them as it can be a trigger for me. What do you ladies do while ttc? I’ve been trying to delay the loo trip as long as poss but how do you balance not getting a uti vs keeping all the sperm in?!!

Peanutty86 Thu 19-Oct-17 11:45:18

Well done @itshappening
@Meggimoo I’m the same. I get utis when not going to the loon straight after. Until the last one I was adamant only antibiotics work for me and I’m usually very hesitant to take them anyway. Only for cystitis and tonsillitis. Anyway, the cranberry stuff really helped probably with a combination of drinking lots and lots. I used like half a glass of c juice and then filled it up with hot water so it was easier and quicker to drink.
For after sex: I wait about 20 mins with me hips elevated and then go. So far, no more UTI. But I make sure I drink a lot before so I need the toilet after the 20 mins and I can properly flush my urethra.

crazyontheweekend Thu 19-Oct-17 11:56:51

The best thing ever for UTIs (bar antibiotics) is a supplement called D-Mannose (get it on Amazon). It's basically a natural fruit sugar (that doesn't adversely effect blood sugar levels) put into supplement or powder form. I get the powder and stir it into a cold drink. It works in the same way as pure cranberry by preventing the infection from sticking to the urinary tract. It flushes out the bugs.
Also try taking some good probiotics to counter the bad bugs. Biokult are good.
If I were you I'd get on top of the UTIs before ttc further. I know it's easier said than done but you want your body to be in tip top condition. And I say this as a 40+ lady ttc for whom time is really running outsad
Anyhow, good luck op.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: