Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can't get the hang of this OPK malarky

(21 Posts)
BandhaAid Tue 17-Oct-17 18:03:15

So, I'm an intelligent woman with three degrees but ovulation tests stump me 😂 I have used one very day at around 6pm since cd8 and I'm now cd13. They have all been negative. I'm aware that I probably haven't ovulated yet (although all the signs point towards it being imminent) but I have just read the box again and realised I should not wee for four hours before testing and should try not to drink much either. Now, there's no way I can hold my wee in for that long, so I don't know whether it's with me continuing or not.

I could have missed my surge or could have just been using them wrong? I will use up the rest in the pack and hope I get a positive soon but I'm starting to get really annoyed with the stupid things.

Anyone else struggle with them or am I just a special case?

BandhaAid Tue 17-Oct-17 18:03:51

Worth me continuing*

justtheonethen Tue 17-Oct-17 18:13:23

I never held urine, there is no way I would be able to! I used to do it after work so I knew I had not gone for at least an hour. They still worked.

I expect you haven't ovulated yet, how long is your cycle?

Stee1 Tue 17-Oct-17 18:13:55

What ones are you using? I have clear blue which is much easier did have cheap ones but with them surge can come and go in a few hours x

BandhaAid Tue 17-Oct-17 18:14:56

28 days

justtheonethen Tue 17-Oct-17 18:33:40

You probably haven't ovulated yet. I bet you do in the next few days.

I used the clear blue ones alongside the cheap ones for a while and concluded they were a waste of money as they did the same thing, albeit with a fancier output.

BandhaAid Tue 17-Oct-17 18:37:13

Here's hoping I get my smiley face soon then

Stee1 Tue 17-Oct-17 18:39:58

Are you using clear blue?

BandhaAid Tue 17-Oct-17 18:42:47

Yes, but the one without the flashing smiley

MouseLove Tue 17-Oct-17 18:57:03

Shouldn’t you do the clearblue ones first thing in the morning? I know that’s when I do mine. The cheapie OPK little sticks should ideally be done around 10-8pm I always did mine at around 2pm and I always held my pee.... which is why I switched to clearblue as FMU is much easier for me.

Stee1 Tue 17-Oct-17 18:57:25

Ah right bit different to mine then as I have to use fmu. You should ovulate soon I have a 30 day cycle and ovulate early x

Gem173 Tue 17-Oct-17 19:07:17

I used boots own ovulation tests - 7 pack, followed ovia and tested every other day for 9 days- all negative. Then thought ah well might aswell use the last one up, as I had some weird symptoms, came out as a positive surge. Surprised me but was lucky to catch it!

Gem173 Tue 17-Oct-17 19:09:03

Keep in mind, I have no idea how long my cycle is so was just randomly testing 1-2 weeks after my last bleed. Now I'm still not sure whether my period is due 2 weeks after ovulation or 4 weeks from when I bleed as ovulation seemed too late for the normal 28 day cycle.

BandhaAid Tue 17-Oct-17 19:09:42

@MouseLove it says I can use any urine as long as it's done at a similar time each day and I haven't urinated for at least four hours before testing. I will try FMU tomorrow.

BandhaAid Tue 17-Oct-17 19:11:19

I think I ovulate on day 16 but my chart last month was a bit confusing. I've attached it here- as you can see, the rise could have been on about four different days!

Gem173 Tue 17-Oct-17 19:21:28

I don't understand charts so haven't even tried ! Nor can I be bothered to do temperatures x

BandhaAid Tue 17-Oct-17 19:23:00

Ha! Fair enough.

juneybean Tue 17-Oct-17 19:37:34

I gave up temping but yeah I'd have said day 14 last month!

BandhaAid Tue 17-Oct-17 19:42:27

Basically I have no idea. If I ovulate on day 14 every month, then I should expect a positive opk today or tomorrow morning, I guess.

This stuff is so frustrating sometimes!!

juneybean Tue 17-Oct-17 19:45:20

It's horrendous! I'd just shag and forget opk and temping if I could, less stress!

BandhaAid Tue 17-Oct-17 19:47:07

As it's my fertile week this week, we're doing the deed every day for seven days. It would just be nice to have something to confirm ovulation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now