Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Pregnacare conception?

(7 Posts)
PickettBowtruckles Sun 15-Oct-17 18:53:22

Hi, I'm very very new to TTC as in this is cycle 1! As ever I've over googled and don't know which way is up right now.

Been reading up on things like pregnacare conception vitamins, before I throw all my money at this can anyone let me know their experience of it and whether it helps any or not?

physicskate Sun 15-Oct-17 19:11:51

Conception vitamins are not there to decrease the amount of time it takes to get pregnant. They are designed to help a growing foetus in the earliest stages of pregnancy. Without folic acid, there is an increased risk associated with neural tube defects in the foetus.

All you need are folic acid and vitamin D. You are strongly advised to take them three months before ttc, but as long as you start before you actually get pregnant, you should be covered (as folic acid is not stored in your body).

BandhaAid Sun 15-Oct-17 19:13:19

They are not an aid to conception, they are just there to ensure a growing foetus has enough nutrients

McTufty Sun 15-Oct-17 19:16:14

Unless you have a specific concern about an aspect of your cycle, which some particular supplements may be able to help with, it is just a case of ensuring you have the right nutrients for a healthy pregnancy. I am not sure the pregnacare are much better than cheaper options for that.

Good luck!

PickettBowtruckles Sun 15-Oct-17 19:18:00

Sorry I didnt explain myself well in my post at all - yes that was my understanding of them. The branded pregnacare is obviously a fair amount more expensive, an I just as well of buying Tesco's versions or is there some added benefit to something branded and known?

BandhaAid Sun 15-Oct-17 19:26:47

Oh, I see! I believe the cheaper ones are just as good- if you check the labels, they probably all have roughly the same amounts of different nutrients in them. As already said, folic acid and Vitamin D are the only two you actually need.

PickettBowtruckles Sun 15-Oct-17 19:28:47

Thanks Bandha

Off to Tesco I go in the morning! Wasn't aware I was meant to start 3 months ago, wooos! Thanks for everyone's help smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now