Talk

Advanced search

Positive test and then period!?

(7 Posts)
pinky119 Thu 12-Oct-17 10:09:04

Hello all,
Period is a week late this month (very unusual) so took a pregnancy test last night as felt slightly sicky - was positive (yay!) however, this morning have cramps/bloating like normal period and now bleeding. What does this mean? Could I still be pregnant or was it a false result? I was told in my previous pregnancy by a nurse (first is 2.5 years) that you couldn't get a fake positive test result!?
First pregnancy I didn't have any bleeding at all so unsure what this means ... help please!?

TiramisuQueenoftheFaeries Thu 12-Oct-17 10:10:33

It might have been a chemical pregnancy, or you might still be pregnant and having a bleed.

Wait a few days and test again. If the test has got darker/stronger you are still pregnant, if it's no longer positive or has faded you have had a chemical pregnancy.

What brand of test was it?

pinky119 Thu 12-Oct-17 10:23:01

Thanks for your quick response TiramisuQueenoftheFaeries :-)

I didn't have any bleeding with my first so quite confused. Whats a chemical pregnancy (excuse my ignorance, haven't heard of this before)

It was quite a faint blue line last night. It was a Clear Blue (possibly early conception test, can't quite remember thought)

TiramisuQueenoftheFaeries Thu 12-Oct-17 10:31:50

A chemical pregnancy is a pregnancy which implants but then is lost very quickly, and which you only know about because you tested before your period is due. Basically you test early, get a positive, but then your period arrives as normal. They're very, very common but women rarely know about them unless they are TTC and testing before they're due.

4thtime Thu 12-Oct-17 11:17:36

It could be a number of things, bleeding can occur in pregnant and everything be fine, like pp said yeast again in a couple of days and see what the result is, also try with a pink dye test rather than blue

P.s you can get false positives as I have experienced this myself

LisaSimpsonsbff Thu 12-Oct-17 12:27:29

A chemical pregnancy is a very early miscarriage. Did you test before last night? Is the bleeding light and brown or heavy and red? If you are losing it then it sounds like you'd be five weeks (period a week late) so you don't need any particular medical care (I've lost two at five weeks) unless you start to get very bad pain. If that happens you should get checked out because it could be an ectopic pregnancy, which can be quite dangerous.

Thawkins10 Fri 20-Oct-17 20:27:25

Hi need some friendly advise.. 
31st Aug had my implant out during September I had my AF 3 times in one month!! Awful I know expecially when TTC. I use the Ovia app and during beginning of this month it said i was in my fertile window, so done the deed ;) about 6days after started experiencing flutters in stomach not feeling myself tired, moody ya know symptoms that suggested a pregnancy. So like anyone would get abit excited by this anyways today I thought I would do a pregnancy test this morning bfn for pregnancy and also done a ovulation test to which showed a line in the test line slightly faint.. as the day went on I had really bad stomach cramps and now have brown spotting when wipe!! Now getting very frustrated. Has anyone experienced the same and what does this mean?? Thanks in advance xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now