Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Summer babies vs Autumn babies

(37 Posts)
sara28 Tue 10-Oct-17 20:41:13

Hello everyone . So I have an 18 month old boy and have started feeling very broody . I wanted to wait until my son was around 18 -24 months before trying to conceive . My husband isn't too keen on having another one just yet as he feels my son is a lot of work ( he's a very fussy eater and prematurely going through the terrible twos!) . I've been back at work (part time ) around 8 months now . I was very blessed to get pregnant right away with my first (in the first month I was trying ) . I'm not sure how it will be this time around but am keeping a positive outlook . My husband and I use natural conception (pull out method ) as I wasn't worriedly about getting pregnant with my second . If I start trying now and am lucky and get pregnant right away I'll have a July - August baby. However after speaking to my friends who have summer babies , I've been told that it's better to aim for a due date of September as he/ she will start school only after their 4th birthday . My son is a winter baby so he will start school at. 4.5 years . I never really thought of all this with my first but after speaking to my friends I'm worried . What do you guys think ? Anyone have a sunmer baby or aiming for an Autumn baby? Thanks in advance !! xx

SoozC Tue 10-Oct-17 21:03:02

As a Reception teacher I can say I don't see much different between summer- or autumn-born children. What matters is how much the parents are involved in their children's learning at school and at home. I think just ttc when you're ready and whatever happens, happens.

I'm aiming for any baby after 20 months of ttc.

Tilapia Tue 10-Oct-17 21:05:40

Yes, personally I aimed for an autumn baby with each of my DC because I think it's easier for them when they start school. It's a minor factor, but in your case (as it means only delaying ttc by a month or two) I'd say why not.

Dolwar Tue 10-Oct-17 22:07:44

I'm pretty sure that summer babies don't catch up educationally (overall) until in secondary school from what I've read.
Add that to all your mates being able to go to the pub before you. Going to uni wheny you've only just turned 18. Being the last one of your mates to drive/get into the 18 films at the cinema etc etc etc.
I'd much rather be an autumn baby

BadPolicy Tue 10-Oct-17 22:41:25

I'm an August baby, as are two of my close friends. From our friendship group we are the three who have achieved the most academically. I don't really remember starting school, so I don't know if I struggled to begin with but it certainly hasn't held any of us back.

toffee1000 Tue 10-Oct-17 22:47:29

Bear in mind that while you conceived easily the first time round it doesn't mean it'll be as easy the second time. It may be, may not be. Plus you could also give birth prematurely etc. Not trying to scare you, but you should bear it in mind.
I liked having a July birthday as my birthday was always after public exams! I also did fine in school, whereas my friend in primary who was the oldest did not do so well. It really depends on the child.

Bubblegum89 Tue 10-Oct-17 23:49:54

My 9 year old daughter is a summer baby (born in July) and is exceptionally intelligent and is top of her class in maths. I don’t think there is any difference between summer/autumn babies in terms of academic ability/achievement. Also, as another poster said, conceiving easily first time doesn’t necessarily mean it’ll happen so easily a second time. Mother Nature doesn’t allow for such meticulous planning! I wouldn’t worry too much about when you would prefer a baby and if you’re ready for another, just start ttc as it might take longer this time anyway. Good luck!

Picklesandpies Wed 11-Oct-17 00:41:42

Where we live you can now choose which Year you would like your dc to start school if they are born between May and August and they can start in Reception the following year if you feel they are not ready. I have two August dc and one was definitely not ready and would have benefitted massively from this and the other one seems absolutely fine!

IntoTheDeep Wed 11-Oct-17 01:10:47

Having had an August born child who really struggled to cope starting school as a just turned 4 yr old, my preference would be to avoid a summer baby where possible.

Although my August born baby has ASD, which has made the transition to school harder for him than it would likely be for a neurotypical child. He was also premature - he'd have been an autumn baby if born at full term. There's another child in his school who was 15 weeks premature. Due in November but born in July.

sara28 Wed 11-Oct-17 08:53:30

Hello again girls! Thank you so much for taking out the time and replying. I am mentally so ready for a baby that I just want to start trying . And like a lot of you are saying , I might not conceive right away . I'm going to let nature decide and start trying . And like IntoTheDeep said a November born baby was born in November ! So what's to say that I plan a September baby but things don't work as per plan?!
Thank you all for your tips . I've also been looking at ways to boost my chances of conception .

sara28 Wed 11-Oct-17 08:54:39

I meant was born prematurely before November "

sara28 Wed 11-Oct-17 08:59:02

Hi SoozC,
One of my friend's struggled to conceive and used to eat Yams and Yam supplements (available at holland and Barrett I think ) . It worked . If your partner has foods high in zinc and a zinc supplement that also boots chances I've heard . Goodluck

GrasswillbeGreener Wed 11-Oct-17 09:09:03

Agree that you can try to hard to control outcomes and still be caught out. My children have both started puberty relatively early; so my summerborn son age 12 is taller than some of his teachers and can now sing lower than me and I'm grateful he's in year 8 not year 7. Visited Australia over the summer and it was ridiculous to imagine that were we living there he would have been in primary school till this Christmas. By extreme contrast we have a friend who is a Septemer birthday but has been late to mature, only recently started to grow and his voice is just changing now - he is 16. Despite being old in his year he has looked out of place.

sara28 Wed 11-Oct-17 11:06:55

Hi GrasswillbeGreener. Thank you ! That does put my mind at ease . Honestly I would love a summer baby . The only thing that was holding me back was the whole school issue . But what you've said makes sense . So I'll start trying smile thanks again ! xx

LisaSimpsonsbff Wed 11-Oct-17 11:37:05

As a summer baby I'd also agree that it really doesn't matter.

As another one who's been trying for more than a year I'd also say that a) these things don't always happen when you want and b) please don't ever give advice on basic things like supplements to a long-term TTCer again. No one gets to 20 months without both looking for and getting given a lot of fertility advice, and frankly it's not going to be particularly welcome from some who conceived in their first month trying...

PetalMettle Wed 11-Oct-17 11:43:14

My one and only would have been a November baby if we’d conceived first month of trying he’s actually July 2 years on. I don’t think you can plan these things
Sending love to the long term ttcers x

Oysterbabe Wed 11-Oct-17 12:17:24

I wanted to avoid a summer baby for the reasons mentioned and had a winter one. Having another winter baby this time and I'm really pleased because it was lovely. Snuggle in with a newborn while it's freezing and horrid and ready for picnics in the park once weaning starts in the summer.
But tbh there are advantages and disadvantages of any time of year and I would have been happy whenever I conceived as long as I did.

juneybean Wed 11-Oct-17 12:19:32

I wanted a January baby, funnily enough I'm still trying 7 months later. I just want a baby now and couldn't give two shits when it comes.

I was a summer baby and was by far one of the brightest by year 4-6.

0hDeer Wed 11-Oct-17 12:41:14

I think a spring baby would be lovely. I was an August baby and it was annoying to be the last to age up and go out etc etc with my friends. I don't know if it impacted me academically.

sara28 Wed 11-Oct-17 20:56:44

Hi LisaSimpsonsbff,
Thank you for posting . As far as advising regarding supplements - I wasn't doing that. I was merely giving someone who has been trying very hard , some suggestions. These suggestions were based on my best friend's experience who had tried for nearly two years . And it is up to anyone whether they take advise or not . Although I did conceive right away I had a very high risk pregnancy, was induced and in labour for 3 days and my son landed in the ICU with a collapsed lung . So we all have our struggles . I'm sorry if you've been trying to conceive without success for 20 months . It must be very hard . I've seen my friend go through it and I wouldn't wish it on anyone . I wish you all the best and really hope you conceive soon . x

sara28 Wed 11-Oct-17 20:58:08

Apologies- just realised you said one year not 20 months . Anyways goodluck

sara28 Wed 11-Oct-17 20:59:45

Thank you Juneybean. I hope you conceive soon ! All the best smilex

SoozC Sat 14-Oct-17 19:47:45

It's me who's been trying 20 months.

Just try. It ultimately doesn't matter when your child is born, that you have a baby is everything, surely? I really don't think autumn/summer born is worth worrying about.

From an experienced primary school teacher and summer-born baby with a masters degree.

Csd17 Sun 15-Oct-17 02:30:02

You as parents will have a huge impact on your child’s academic success. Let the universe decide the right time for your baby to arrive smile))

Csd17 Sun 15-Oct-17 02:31:56

Ps the youngest girl in my class at school was very bright. She’s now a stock broker in London.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: