Talk

Advanced search

At what stage will the DR suggest clomid?

(8 Posts)
Pickle0 Tue 10-Oct-17 19:55:00

25yrs old... no children... was on pill, came off for other reasons (not TTC) but did not use any other form of contraception, nothing happened... been off pill for 4 years now.

As of recent we have been ready to make an effort with TTC, and after not having a period for 4 months I went to see the DR. 4 blood tests later confirmed I was not ovulating and had low progesterone and high testosterone levels, DR mentioned PCOS. Period came by coincidence and now on day 40 still no sign of next AF. Went for TV US scan yesterday and confirmed PCOS, appt to see DR on Tuesday.

What happens next?
& at what point will the DR suggest clomid? I have read lots of PCOS success stories with clomid!!

boatrace30 Tue 10-Oct-17 20:00:18

I've been through similar and read so many forums. It really seems to depend on your doctor. I saw a consultant after 10months TTC and previously confirmed pcos. He gave me Clomid straight away. Others seem to have to go through far more testing to get it. E.g. Sperm tests, checking tubes etc. I never used it in the end as got a bfp two weeks after the appointment! DH convinced it's because I relaxed after being prescribed Clomid.

At doctors I would push for referral to fertility clinic (most GPs won't prescribe it) and maybe bend truth slightly and say you've effectively been TTC for 4years as if you say you've only been making an effort recently they may say they for longer

pinyata Tue 10-Oct-17 20:14:35

The might not prescribe clomid, I was prescribed progesterone to start period and Letrozole to induce ovulation as I have PCOS as well.

They started me on 2.5mg for 5 days for days 2 - 6 of cycle and blood test to confirm if ovulation occurred on day 21

The dosage was increased by 2.5 each time until I ovulated at 7.5mg which I done 3 x cycles before falling pregnant (felt like eternity)

pinyata Tue 10-Oct-17 20:16:42

Ohh and OH had to have sperm check done and I had to have a HSG to check my tubes before any medication was prescribed.

Pickle0 Wed 11-Oct-17 08:12:25

Thanks girls, I will take my OH to my next Drs appt next week so that he's in the loop and knows what the next step is. X

Frazzled2207 Wed 11-Oct-17 19:56:44

I conceived my first on clomid, first cycle. However gp would not prescribe I had to get referred to fertility clinic after various tests including hsg, scan, various bloods and sperm test. This all took ages.
But the consultant prescribed clomid without a second thought and I was pg next cycle.

Best of luck.

Frazzled2207 Wed 11-Oct-17 19:57:37

And yes say to gp that you’ve been trying for 4
Years. That should be grounds for referral.

Pickle0 Thu 12-Oct-17 21:31:14

Thanks for sharing your stories. Interesting to see what DR will say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now