Talk

Advanced search

When there is EWCM should you have a positive ovulation test?

(12 Posts)
Picklesandpies Mon 09-Oct-17 09:23:08

Just that really. I have EWCM today but when I did an ovulation test it was negative. I'm on CD15 in a 28 day cycle. Did ovulation tests the past two days but they haven't been dark enough to count as a positive. Wondering whether it should be positive today?

Thanks.

butterflycatcher Mon 09-Oct-17 09:48:43

You can have ewcm for a number of days. Get shagging regardless of the ovulation test result, you may miss the surge, particularly if it happens overnight.

NimbleKnitter Mon 09-Oct-17 11:23:27

Fertile cervical fluid is caused by a rise in estrogen, which usually happens a day or two before the LH surge (which triggers a positive ovulation test)

It’s also good though - fertile cervical fluid is as good as it gets - it helps the sperm through the cervix toward the Fallopian tube, where it can wait for ovulation.

Agree with above - get shagging

Picklesandpies Mon 09-Oct-17 13:32:12

Hi, thanks for your replies. That's helpful to know. I will take your advice! smile

RainyDayBear Tue 10-Oct-17 14:09:54

I always thought I ovulated exactly when I had EWCM as when we were TTC it did match up with positives on ovulation tests. However earlier this year we spur of the moment DTD without thinking around three days after I had EWCM... and I'm now 22 weeks pregnant blush. So I would say it's more a sign that ovulation is imminent over the next few days!

susurration Tue 10-Oct-17 15:14:18

I think generally if you see EWCM just get shagging because you're either ovulating then or about to.

FuzzyOwl Tue 10-Oct-17 15:21:30

I always get it two to three days before a positive opk which is still a day or two before ovulation.

Picklesandpies Tue 10-Oct-17 16:28:41

Thanks all! We have done the deed every other day since day 10 of my cycle so hopefully that's covered all bases - and hoping we can muster the energy tonight!

Mamabear4180 Tue 10-Oct-17 16:50:12

Yes it's your most fertile time. The EWCM helps the sperm to the egg, it actually protects it and it appears just before ovulation. Waiting for ovulation can mean you miss your window altogether. I got pregnant first time twice by dtd on days 10 and 12, with EWCM appearing on days 12-14 and ovulation roughly happening on days 14-15.

Sperm can survive up to 7 days and easily 5 so early is best.

Good luck!

Picklesandpies Tue 10-Oct-17 16:52:53

Thanks Mamabear! That's encouraging to hear. This is third time for us but I'm older now (not too old but 33 is different to 26) so I'm trying to understand it all better and be a little more 'precise' without being too mechanical about it!

Laura0806 Wed 11-Oct-17 09:09:47

EWCM is definitely the best sign you will get regardless of ovulation tests. Good luck!!

Mamabear4180 Wed 11-Oct-17 15:14:30

You're welcome! Both mine conceived age 34 and 36 so don't panic about your age, plenty of time. It's worth knowing all about it, I chart my EWCM and periods and can be pretty precise these days!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: