Talk

Advanced search

Trying to get pregnant whilst breastfeeding!

(14 Posts)
Newmummy0306 Fri 22-Sep-17 14:53:55

Hi all,

Just after any advice/tips/success stories on getting pregnant whilst breastfeeding!

My LO is 16 weeks (I know still so young, yes we are crazy), my periods haven't returned but my LO goes 3-4 hours between feeds in the day and goes from 10pm-6am without feeding now so hoping I will start to ovulate soon (I've been doing ovulation tests for a few weeks just in case).

Any advice would be great, thanks x

hopsalong Fri 22-Sep-17 15:20:33

Are you sure you want to get pregnant now? Why would you want to have children so close together in age? Obviously one thing if it happens by accident but it seems a little odd to plan it like this. The world health organisation recommends leaving 18 months (not weeks!) between pregnancies (so a 2 year + age gap) to give your body a chance to recover, and really short age gaps are associated with negative health outcomes for the second child. Besides, even if you do manage to get pregnant now, your milk might dry up or feeding might become too uncomfortable at a point where your first child could still be benefitting from it.

Also, watch out for the four-month sleep regression! Both of mine have been sleeping for really good stretches at 3 1/2 months then back to waking up a lot between 4 and 5 months. The waking up seems to stop ovulation as well as banishing all thoughts of sex or more babies entirely.

hopsalong Fri 22-Sep-17 15:22:05

PS I am sure that once your periods return naturally (for me after starting solids, so around 7-8 months) you will have no difficulty getting pregnant again. But I wouldn't "push" it before then -- mother nature has her own logic!

Orangebird69 Fri 22-Sep-17 15:24:36

16 weeks old and only 4 or 5 feeds a day? That doesn't sound enough to me for an ebf bany.

ems137 Fri 22-Sep-17 15:43:28

There was 13 months between my 1st 2 (planned) and I found it a breeze! My 1st baby was really easy going and a pleasure to have and has remained that way so it wasn't really much extra when I had my 2nd.

My periods have always come back quickly after birth so haven't had to think about that so can't offer advice.

Don't listen to PP, you know your own body, mind and family situation so so whatever you think is best!

PerpetualStudent Fri 22-Sep-17 15:47:16

I mixed fed my DS, and even so my periods didn't return until he was 14 months old, so you might well be a way off ovulation yet!

Newmummy0306 Fri 22-Sep-17 15:51:02

Thank you ems137! I'm not interested in people's opinions, we are ready for another I just want some tips no judgement please!

Save your negativity for somewhere else! Also MY baby is happy, health and feeds plenty!

KalaLaka Fri 22-Sep-17 20:41:01

I'm (just) pregnant and bf. I got my period back around 4/5 months but waited to try til 10months. My cycles had just about settled into around 31-35 days and I did opk to see when I was ovulating on the second cycle trying. Found I ov v late (day 21) but seems it worked! My baby feeds every 3 hours round the clock (plus snack feeds...). I took vits and evening primrose oil, no idea if it helped.

Twins are more likely when bf, so worth bearing in mind ;)

Chattycat78 Sun 24-Sep-17 08:12:01

Your problem could be getting your periods to return. Mine didn't come back until I gave up feeding completely at 8 months. It's different for everyone but i would say ovulation is likely a way away.

Chattycat78 Sun 24-Sep-17 08:13:52

Also- if your periods did return now, it's likely your lining couldn't support pregnancy yet anyway. Fertility comes back in stages. Have a look at the kellymom site.

If you really did want to get pregnant right now you might be faced with having to give up feeding.

Newmummy0306 Sun 24-Sep-17 08:37:49

Thank you Chattycat78,

I plan on breastfeeding for at least 6 months anyway, that's been my goal from the start so whilst I would love to get pregnant I won't stop feeding until at least then and hope to carry on for as long as poss!

Kind of just going with if it happens now then great if not then I'll have to reassess after 6 months! X

Chattycat78 Sun 24-Sep-17 09:07:39

I was like you- keen to start ttc straight away, but that was because we struggled the first time and ended up doing ivf. I expected to struggle the second time too and I was anxious for my period to come back, but it didn't until after I dropped the last feed at 8 months- it came back a month later. 4 weeks after that I was pregnant again. smile

Newmummy0306 Sun 24-Sep-17 09:48:27

Aww Chattycat78 amazing!! You must've been over the moon especially finding it difficult the first time! X

Chattycat78 Sun 24-Sep-17 10:18:21

Yes. Although total shock is more appropriate really.....!! I've now got 2 with a 17 month gap between them (2nd was a month prem).

Good luck. You need the period back really as first port of call.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now