Talk

Advanced search

Long menstrual cycles

(8 Posts)
Schleeping Sun 04-Jun-17 10:58:34

I cam off the pill a few months ago and felt lucky that I was having regular (ish) cycles straight away. The shortest has been 33 days and the longest 38 days. I have read online that anything over 35 days means you haven't ovulated and another website says up to 40 days can be considered a "normal" length cycle. Does anyone know?

Schleeping Sun 04-Jun-17 10:59:05

I haven't been tracking ovulation but had signs of it mid cycle each time.

JoJoSM2 Sun 04-Jun-17 11:14:36

What ovulation symptoms do you get? The cycles seem a bit long and 33-38 days is quite a range. It might be worth tracking your cycles for a few months or seeing a doctor who will know for certain if the ovulation has occurred or not.

Schleeping Sun 04-Jun-17 11:19:10

Symptoms were just the egg white mucus (sorry TMI) but always seemed to happen mid cycle.

JoJoSM2 Mon 05-Jun-17 09:38:01

That is a positive symptom. The mucus is caused by estrogen levels going up, which happens around ovulation but it's a 100% prove that ovulation does take place. You also need a LH surge - that's what OPKs test for. Having said that, neither mucus or opks are completely fool-proof... Eg if someone has PCOS. It's also completely probable that you're absolutely fine and just need a little longer off the pill for things to settle. In your position, I'd probably carry on trying for another cycle or 2 and if nothing happens, then see the doctor for a few basic tests and to determine if you've indeed ovulated.

Oysterbabe Mon 05-Jun-17 10:37:18

My first cycle off the pill was 39 days. I was tracking ovulation and believe that I did. My second cycle I think I ovulated on day 25. I can't tell you how long the cycle would have been though as I got my BFP 2 weeks later. You can still ovulate with long cycles.

Metalhead Mon 05-Jun-17 14:41:38

I have long cycles averaging around 35 days and always ovulated. I wouldn't worry about it if you haven't been ttc for long.

yellowfrontdoor Mon 05-Jun-17 20:29:56

I have up to 50 day cycles, hormone tests at the doctors revealed all my hormone levels are fine, I just have long cycles.
Opks were great for me & gave an insight into when I ovulate.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now