Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How soon after your first baby did you try for a second?

(25 Posts)
mintich Mon 29-May-17 20:47:19

I've just had my first baby and, due to a huge age gap between my siblings, I would like to have quite a smallish gap between my children.

MotherofBoy Mon 29-May-17 21:33:19

We are ttc #2 now. 4 cycles in so we started trying when DS was 18mo. We would have tried earlier at about 15mo but various things prevented us from doing so

MotherofBoy Mon 29-May-17 21:33:39

Should have said - DS is now 22mo

Oysterbabe Mon 29-May-17 21:56:09

We started when DD was 13 months. Now pregnant with #2 and due 10 days before DD turns 2.

Pinkheart5917 Mon 29-May-17 21:57:46

Mine are 11 months apart

FuckyDuck Mon 29-May-17 21:59:28

Following with interest!

TheTartOfAsgard Mon 29-May-17 21:59:36

Started trying almost straight away. I fell pregnant with dc2 when dc1 was 6 months old, so 16 month gap. But there will be 12 years between dc2 and dc3 shock

DorothyHarris Mon 29-May-17 21:59:52

We started when my DC1 was 15m, got oh the next month and twins were born 13 days after DC1s second birthday.
Me and my brother also had quite a large gap as well so I wanted the opposite. My twins are now 14m and my DC1 is 3y3m and they are starting to play together, it's lovely to watch.

DramaAlpaca Mon 29-May-17 22:02:01

We started when DC1 was 7 months because it had taken a long time to conceive him & we didn't want a big age gap, so we thought we'd just get on with it & see what happened.

To my utter shock I got pregnant immediately even though I was still breastfeeding, and so there's a 16 month age gap between them.

It was hard work but lovely because they've grown up very close.

Eminybob Mon 29-May-17 22:03:31

We started trying when ds turned 2, we wanted a 3 year gap. However we are nearly a year on and still not pregnant so I really wish we'd started trying earlier.

Cineraria Mon 29-May-17 22:07:08

I stated trying when my cycle returned, so when DS was five months old. This was because I was already quite old, 41, and wanted to make the most of every chance to make sure he had a sibling.

I got pregnant a couple of months later but sadly it didn't last. it took several months for my cycle to return after that, probably as DS was still breastfeeding a lot and again I got pregnant within a couple of months, when it did. If all goes well, he should get a little brother around the week he turns two.

Cuppaand2biscuits Mon 29-May-17 22:07:38

I wanted to start trying when dd was 6 months old. There's 18 months between me and my brother and I wanted the same but dp talked me out of it and we waited until dd was nearly 2. My dd was 3 months away from turning 3 when ds son arrived and I think it's a perfect age gap. They are now 4 and 6 1/2 and are absolutely best friends.

Chattycat78 Tue 30-May-17 13:48:13

I had the same situation as drama- took a year and ivf the first time and I def wanted a second so I assumed it would be a very very long job. Tried when ds was 9 months old and my periods came back after breastfeeding. I got a bfp 4 weeks later and now have 2 boys with a 17 month age gap!

Treesinbloom Tue 30-May-17 13:56:29

DS1 was 23 months. No way could I contemplate being pregnant again before that (horrendous pregnancy, severely refluxy non-sleeping baby).

Got pregnant straight away and have a 2.7 year gap. It's brilliant. They get on well and play together. DS1 was toilet trained, and reasonably understanding that the baby needed me.

WilliowGreen Tue 30-May-17 13:58:15

When you say you have just had a baby how old is he or she?
My baby is six weeks old and I haven't even thought of having another yet, but I do hope to have more than one child. If you are thinking about this you are probably readier than I will ever be.

CowParsleyNettle Tue 30-May-17 14:01:41

I wanted a 3 year age gap.

Very glad I waited as an 18 month old is a very different kettle of fish to a 2.5 year old, but mine is particularly 'spirited' and I think if I'd had a baby to look after too, probably would have met an untimely end.

Lots of different age gaps and all work and are hard for different reasons.

BendydickCuminsnatch Tue 30-May-17 14:09:11

I wanted an 18 month gap but had a terrible recovery from DS' birth. Still not recovered but 16 weeks with DC2. Started trying in February, got pregnant first cycle. DS will be 2.5 years when this one is born.

One family I know has 5 kids with 4-5 year age gaps and they're all very close. Me and my sister have a 2.5 year age gap and aren't close. I think it just depends on the kids.

There are benefits to a small gap - getting out of the baby phase (personally I'm in no rush for that), same interests etc. But there's also benefits to a larger gap - older child in childcare, able to entertain themselves a bit, helping out with the new baby, much more aware of what's going on. I'm sooooo excited for DS to start nursery in Sept, perfect timing for the new baby in Nov! smile

Good luck!

M5tothesouthwest Tue 30-May-17 14:24:34

Started TTC on DC1's first birthday. DC2 was conceived that night and so there is an almost 21-month age gap between my two.

OliviaTheFox Tue 30-May-17 14:44:20

Periods returned when DD was 13m, started to try when she was 16m. Pregnant now due in November, she'll be 2y 4m.
Glad I started when I did, she's being a spirited pain at the moment.

DoubleCarrick Tue 30-May-17 14:46:39

I've just found out I'm pregnant! Ds isn't quite 5 months old yet. There will be 13 months between them

MrsBartlettforthewin Tue 30-May-17 15:33:05

There is almost 5 years between DD and DS1 we started trying when DD was 18 months ( I have PCOS so both of these pregnancies took a long time) however there is only 22 months between DS1 and DS2 that took us rather by surprise grin

AnyFarrahFowler Tue 30-May-17 16:11:07

DS will be 22 months when DC2 arrives in November. There's 20 months between me and my brother and we're very close, so I wanted the same for mine. I'm sure it'll be hard work with 2 in nappies, but I think it's lovely that DS will never remember a time when his sibling wasn't around, just like me and DB.

TurquoiseDress Wed 31-May-17 00:17:30

I wanted to try for no.2 when LO was 18 months old but DH took some convincing which was frustrating.

Stopped the pill just shortly after LO's 2nd birthday and fell pregnant straight away. No.2 was due a couple of months before LO's 3rd birthday- the perfect age gap (for us anyway).

Unfortunately suffered a MMC, found out a the dating scan.
Almost 1 year later and frustratingly not been able to conceive again yet despite the most of amount of unprotected sex I have ever had in my life.

The age gap will now be at least 4 + years, if it ever happens again.

I would advise anyone considering no.2 to just crack on with it, you never know what's in store for you.

kel1234 Wed 31-May-17 00:26:31

We agreed we wanted a 4-5 year gap. So when our 1st is at school we will try for another.
There's a 10 year age gap between my and my brother, and a 20 year gap between me and my sister (I'm 24, my brother is 14 and my sister is 4).

ChanandlerBongsNeighbour Wed 31-May-17 00:34:20

Started trying when DD1 had just turned 1, expected it to happen straightaway as it had the first time. Took over a year of trying and DD2 was born four days before her sisters 3rd birthday. Lovely age gap as it turns out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now