Talk

Advanced search

Blood Tests - too much folic acid?

(8 Posts)
ForeverHopeful21 Mon 29-May-17 09:19:16

3 years of ttc and still no baby (had mc in march) so I had my Day 4 blood test done a couple of weeks ago, and will have my Day 21 test done in a couple of days. I have a telephone consultation booked in with my GP next week to discuss the findings, which they said was not urgent.

However, when I was at a gynaecology appointment last week, I noticed on her computer that there was something highlighted on the screen. It said that my folic acid was abnormally high (so I'm assuming this is the non-urgent thing that the GP will discuss with me).
Just wondering if anyone else has had this? I stupidly Googled and it mentioned that a study shows too much folic acid can contribute to autism in children which can concerned me.

KingIrving Mon 29-May-17 21:50:59

Do you take vitamins or supplements ? Because it is almost impossible to have excess folic acid from food source.

ForeverHopeful21 Tue 30-May-17 10:34:01

I either take Seven Seas Trying for Baby Vitamins or I take Berocca. I never go over the stated dose so I've no idea how I have too much in my blood?

scottishllama Tue 30-May-17 15:22:04

As far as I know, not everyone can break down folic acid properly (As opposed to the natural form, folate, which is in some conception multivitamins) so it can build up in the blood. Perhaps thats what happened? Sure your GP will fill you in soon anyway and let you know how to get it to normal levels.

KingIrving Tue 30-May-17 20:36:32

Wait for the GP appointment but an option could be to alternate and take the vitamin only every other day.

JoJoSM2 Wed 31-May-17 02:48:26

I had that with some other B vitamins. I think it was down to having a daily Red Bull. So clearly we don't just pee out excess folic acid and other B vits... I'd speak to your GP about it to double check what to do.
A bit off topic, has your OH had his semen tested?

ForeverHopeful21 Wed 31-May-17 09:43:22

Jojo I'm wondering whether it's the berocca that's causing it then as thats mainly made up of B vitamins in very high quantity. Interesting.

My DH is having semen test done next week. Tbh I'll be surprised if theres a problem there. I have a large ovarian cyst and our fertility consultant thinks the cyst has stopped ovulation from one of my ovaries, and the other ovary isn't making up for it. I'm having surgery in a couple of months to remove the cyst and probably the ovary too, so the fertility centre aren't willing to do any further tests on me until that's done, which makes sense. Everything just takes so long sad

Ekphrasis Wed 31-May-17 10:05:56

If you look there's very little folic acid in berrocca which is why I switch to pregnacare if ttc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now