Talk

Advanced search

Any tips when trying to conceive?

(8 Posts)
charley39 Sun 28-May-17 20:45:52

Hi I'm new to all of this and so struggling to understand all the terminology used!
Recently started trying for a baby and I'm very anxious about having the best chance and would welcome any tips you may have!
I have been off of contraception for a few years now as it never agreed with my body but have never had a regular period. Sometimes 5 weeks sometimes up to 6/7 weeks. This is where I'm concerned about trying to plan when I'm ovulating.
Thanks in advance for your advice smile

physicskate Sun 28-May-17 21:38:39

Folic acid. They recommend taking it 3 months before ttc to help prevent neural tube defects.

Hope you don't have to try for long, it often takes longer than people expect... 80% will conceive within a year.

You'll learn fast.

IJustGotHitByADeer Sun 28-May-17 21:48:16

I will be watching this thread with interest as I'll be ttc after I finish uni in 12 days (!!!)

I've heard diet can help prepare your body for pregnancy but I'm not a nutritionist so no idea if it can help with conception.

Hope you get your bfp soon smile

voobylooby Sun 28-May-17 21:53:18

Ovulation tests did the trick for us. The ones that have a flashing smiley face on the best day(s) to do the deed....clear blue?

lilyborderterrier Sun 28-May-17 22:04:07

I used conceive lubricant ( bought off Amazon, boots sell it too) I found I was getting sore doing the deed so much. It did take us 7 months with our 2nd baby.
I used ovulation tests as well. Also took folic acid and ate healthy.

X

charley39 Sun 28-May-17 22:51:33

Started folic acid about 6 weeks ago now! Think I will look into ovulation tests seems to be the way forward! Thanks everyone smile

MaryShelley1818 Mon 29-May-17 15:40:02

Lots and lots of sex!!
Preseed lube and Wellman vitamins for him (healthy sperm production).

We did use OPKs and monitor BBT but this was just purely out of curiosity as we have sex at least once a day anyway.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 29-May-17 17:40:08

charley39

Have sex as and when you feel like it. Do not go down the timed intercourse route.

If your cycles have never been regular then I would seek medical advice sooner rather than later (say after 6 months of ttc rather than a year. I am also someone who has never had a regular cycle and I did require fertility treatment).

Do not bother with either temp charting or OPKs in these particular circumstances; they are particularly unreliable methods if the menstrual cycle is irregular. A "normal" cycle is a cycle length of between 21-35 days or with less than 4 days of variation from month to month.

If you do need tests then ensure you know exactly why these are being done. Sounds obvious but not everyone will explain this.

Irregular periods are often caused by hormonal imbalances. A common cause of this is a condition called polycystic ovaries and that can certainly disrupt ovulation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now