Talk

Advanced search

How soon did you conceive after an abortion?

(7 Posts)
user1493037965 Tue 23-May-17 16:43:14

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes. I had a surgical abortion two wks ago at 15wks preg. Heartbreaking, the baby was diagnosed with Edwards syndrome and therefore we had to terminate. This baby was very much planned and wanted and I fell pregnant relatively easily. Just wondered if anyone has been in a similar position and how long it took to come conceive again. Or even how long your period took to return. I've googled but not really come up with anything. Not sure if the abortion will have messed up period/ovulation for a while. Thanks

Blondienut Tue 23-May-17 23:01:50

So sorry for your loss. Such a very difficult situation. I have been there, a different condition but fatal all the same. Terminated at 12 weeks. I got pregnant 3 months after. It was all I could think about and focussed on it so much I never grieved the baby I lost. Be kind to yourself, nobody knows what's right for you only you x

BigPaws2017 Wed 31-May-17 18:36:54

I'm sorry to hear about you and your baby. Your story sounds very similar to mine. I came off the pill before we got married in December and got pregnant right away. Unfortunately my baby also had Edward's syndrome and i had a termination at 16 weeks in the last week of March. It took 6 weeks before i had my first period (they say if it hasn't returned within 8 weeks to go to the doctor). We have just started trying again. Rationally i know i can get pregnant again but that it might take a little longer, but emotionally is another story. It's been very very hard for me to come to terms with in the first place after carrying the baby for so long. I hope everything goes well for you and your next baby. All the best.

namechange20050 Wed 31-May-17 18:39:32

Hello op. I had a similar situation to you. I can't remember about my period, sorry. We gave ourselves some time off TTC (5 months) to have a break as I felt it would be best for my mental health and my body. I then conceived instantly (it had taken 7 moths first time). Good luck. I know how heartbroken you are feeling. Take your time with everything xxx

Viletta Wed 31-May-17 20:39:28

Normally the doctors say skip the next month and then ttc as normal... if your periods are same length they used to be, probably it means you're back to your normal hormonal self. Good luck and hope your next pregnancy will be healthy!

Bubblegum89 Fri 02-Jun-17 00:09:06

Sorry to hear that sad I had a termination at 14 weeks which broke my heart. Unfortunately the d&c caused scarring to form in my uterus and I'm now infertile so I don't have any advice on how long it will take to get pregnant again as I never will be able to get pregnant again. I would advise maybe giving yourself a month or two just to heal, a termination is still a great trauma to your body. Hope you get pregnant again soon and have a lovely, healthy baby

user1493037965 Fri 02-Jun-17 03:34:38

Thank you all for your replies. Sorry to hear others sad stories xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now