Talk

Advanced search

Genetic conditions - trisomy

(2 Posts)
MulderitsmeX Sat 20-May-17 15:41:10

Hi all,

I'm headed to the RMC soon after one Mmc at 8 weeks and 2 chemicals.

My mother in law had a miscarriage with a baby that had trisomy (she thinks 20 but does not gave it written down).

I've looked on the internet but don't really understand too much, is this something that my husband could carry? Can they test for it?

Didn't have my MMC tested as my doctor wasn't worried about it but now worried about genetic causes!!

Will ask at the rmc but just wanted to look into it now x

Thanks

WelshMammy123 Sat 20-May-17 17:54:50

Hi,

Firstly I'm really sorry for your losses - I know how heartbreaking it is.

I can't answer your specific question but wanted to say that I lost my little girl when I was 4 months pregnant in October. She had a lethal skeletal skeletal dysplasia. We are waiting for genetic testing to see whether the condition is passed on from us.

If we are both carriers of the gene then any future child has a 1 in 4 chance of inheriting the condition. The consultant told us that it was very unlikely to be hereditary. Most of these things tend to be random - a genetic abnormality that happens at point of conception rather than anything else.

Mention it to the RMC but don't spend too long worrying about it would be my advice.

If it helps we have a dd who's 2.5 so even if what happened with dd2 is genetic then our dd1 is proof it's still possible for everything to be ok x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now