Talk

Advanced search

Drinking whilst trying to conceive

(20 Posts)
cheshire88 Sat 13-May-17 10:31:11

Currently on honeymoon - drinking wine etc.
We have since decided to start for a baby.

Can anyone shed any light on whether you stop drinking once pregnant or stop once trying?!

Xx

Wibblewobble100 Sat 13-May-17 11:26:46

Some stop, I haven't but I do make sure I stay within the recommended limits and no binges!

physicskate Sat 13-May-17 15:40:49

Lots of people get pregnant while drunk! Just think about one night stands!

Stop once pregnant. Drink in moderation while ttc.

AgentOprah Sat 13-May-17 15:42:21

Alcohol in your blood stream doesn't pass into the embryo - you don't share a blood supply until the placenta forms a few weeks in.

barrygetamoveonplease Sat 13-May-17 15:49:27

Put the glass down before commencing...

kel1493 Sat 13-May-17 15:53:08

I never stopped and I got pregnant within 4 months of trying.
I also drank when I was pregnant and my baby was fine (a lot less than normal but still)
My mum drank through all 3 pregnancies and we were all fine

MotherofBoy Sat 13-May-17 15:54:34

I don't stop when trying but do hold off during second half of two week wait, paranoid if implantation has occurred! Even when I was pregnant with DS though I had the odd half glass of prosecco e.g. At new year

JoJoSM2 Sat 13-May-17 16:18:01

The odd drink won't hurt but a few cocktails every night might disrupt things. You should also take folic acid as a minimum and bear in mind that alcohol washes out vitamins from your system which could have a knock on effect on the baby.

FozBoz Sat 13-May-17 16:18:59

You're on honeymoon (congratulations btw!) Enjoy a few drinks if you want to!

I tend to not drink during my almost fucking constant two week waits, but otherwise, stay within tecommended alcohol limits

PacificDogwod Sat 13-May-17 16:23:17

Alcohol may interfere with sperm quality and conception, but does not affect the newly fertilised egg/embryo until the placenta is formed and takes over.

During pregnancy we don't know what the safe level of drinking is, hence the advice to not drink at all now.

V personal decision - I was happy to drink small amounts at special occasions.

PurpleDaisies Sat 13-May-17 16:23:19

Just stay within the guidelines and stop (or cut down) when you're pregnant. You don't know how long ttc will take.

Mummyme87 Sat 13-May-17 17:39:11

embryo.asu.edu/pages/developmental-timeline-alcohol-induced-birth-defects

Alcohol does affect baby in the first 8 weeks, affects cells, implantation etc. I think small amounts of alcohol are fine but not getting shit face regularly. The comments regarding alcohol not affecting baby until placenta takes over are bollocks, major organ damage occurs before 8weeks

Magpie24 Sat 13-May-17 19:09:49

What do people think about cutting down on caffeine while trying to conceive?

blue2014 Sat 13-May-17 19:16:34

Drink booze and coffee - it's massively unlikely to make a difference (and I say this having read a million fertility books since it took 4 years and ivf to conceive DS)

If you hubby has major sperm issues and drinks loads get to him cut down. Otherwise enjoy the wine (while you still can!)

TurquoiseDress Sat 13-May-17 21:27:06

OP- carry on drinking wine and enjoy your honeymoon!

Once you get a BFP definitely stop drinking.

I am on cycle 11 following a MMC last summer- wine has been an essential to get through all the disappointments!

Just to add- my 2 previous BFPs occurred after quite a few wines the evening that I conceived.

Thingymaboob Sat 13-May-17 21:50:43

How many people get pregnant on drunken one night stands?! Loads. I was drinking frequently whilst TTC and took 4 months first time and 3 second time. As soon as I got my BFP I stopped. I was drunk the night before though. Ttc is so stressful - just enjoy yourself!!

pocketfullofsunshine Sun 14-May-17 08:58:24

I didnt drink all the time but i didnt know i was pregnant with my boy until half way through. Looking back now i got drunk twice before 12 weeks. Hes a happy healthy and thriving little boy who is excelling his milestones. I know a girl whos on her 4th pregnancy and is drinking and smoking (i dont agree with that for the record) and her babies are fine, but then ive also read where it has affected some babies so i think its hit and miss.. i dont think its set in stone that you drink and your baby gets harmed.. organ damage is a bit intense lol

Oysterbabe Sun 14-May-17 10:04:00

I was swayed by everyone who says it's fine and drank a lot during my two week wait the first time. I was on honeymoon then went straight on a hen party. I tested the day my period was due, got a positive and never touched another drop. My baby was born with a hole in her heart. I'll never know for sure that it was caused by my drinking but it certainly might have been and I'll always believe that it was. Damage to the heart is one of the things that drinking can do, the tissue that forms the heart develops very early. You'll get a load of people saying they did and their baby was fine but it's not worth the guilt you'll carry with you forever if your baby is one of the ones that isn't. I'm pregnant with my second and didn't drink this time.

blue2014 Sun 14-May-17 10:23:47

Oh oyster flowers love in the 2 week wait your baby would have just been a cluster of cells, you didn't cause this xx

Thingymaboob Sun 14-May-17 10:48:35

Yes oyster babe, the heart doesn't develop until after the two week wait. A hole in the heart would not have been caused by your drinking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now