Talk

Advanced search

Came off contraceptive injection 9months ago...

(12 Posts)
ChantelleR89 Fri 28-Apr-17 18:17:38

So I can off the contraceptive injection 9months ago and still NOTHING! I get my periods regular and nothing has changed since we had outlets son 5years ago except we are a little older (28yrs old) it only took us 2months to conceive with him.
I'm getting slightly worried... how long is it until you go to your GP for help/advice?

physicskate Fri 28-Apr-17 18:23:23

I haven't been on hormonal contraception for at least 9 years... ttc for 14 months and my gp still won't run tests...

They say go to the gp after ttc for a year. Takes awhile to get back to regular cycles with depo. A year is not uncommon. Patience is a virtue.

Sunshinesaz86 Fri 28-Apr-17 21:11:02

I was on the drop a few years back and after one day being late they wouldn't do it again until I had a period after 5 months of nothing I decided to ask for the pill and that kick started them again.

Might be worth a go for a month or two rather than wait potentially 18 months or so (that was the GP telling me worst case scenario!)

Hopefully it won't be yours good luck x x

Sunshinesaz86 Fri 28-Apr-17 21:12:07

Sorry that should say depo (injection). I should add that GPS should really tell people how long it can take to get out the system.

ChantelleR89 Fri 28-Apr-17 21:29:02

My GP told me it would be fully out of my system in 2-4 months. By 3months I was having regular periods so I thought it but be out of my system as the deli stopped them.. but when I spoke to a girl I used to work with who now works in sexual health she was telling me it can take up to a year...
All the different information is just confusing and frustrating 🙈

ChantelleR89 Fri 28-Apr-17 21:30:22

Sorry my quick typing is making me not make sense.. I meant 'might' and 'depo' not deli

CPtart Fri 28-Apr-17 21:31:32

Practice nurse here. It can take up to 12 months to get your periods back.

Nottalotta Fri 28-Apr-17 21:34:34

It took me 9 months before I had a period, and 2.5 years before I was pregnant. I was 38, and had started fertility investigations but not treatment. With my second child, I was on the mini pill, still breastfeeding the first baby, and had sex once.

GraceBlish Sun 30-Apr-17 21:23:10

Sexual health nurse here - it us not unusual for women who have been on hormonal contraception to take a year to conceive. GPs generally won't investigate until you've been ttc for 2 years. In my job we often give out hormonal contact but from personal experience and many women I met, I will not be allowing my daughter to use hormonal contraception - I think it's way more detrimental than we realise.

GraceBlish Sun 30-Apr-17 21:23:52

Contraception not contract

user1471464906 Sun 30-Apr-17 21:32:47

There's a difference between having a period and ovulating. The depo works by preventing ovulation and it can take for ovulation to restart. The average is 5 months but as others say it can take up to a year. I wouldn't advise using the pill at this point as while it might regulate a bleed/period it won't help restart ovulation. It's just a question of time. (Sexual health doctor)

ew1990 Sun 30-Apr-17 21:33:39

My periods went back to normal straight away, took 2 years to conceive though, x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now