Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Came off contraceptive injection 9months ago...

(12 Posts)
ChantelleR89 Fri 28-Apr-17 18:17:38

So I can off the contraceptive injection 9months ago and still NOTHING! I get my periods regular and nothing has changed since we had outlets son 5years ago except we are a little older (28yrs old) it only took us 2months to conceive with him.
I'm getting slightly worried... how long is it until you go to your GP for help/advice?

physicskate Fri 28-Apr-17 18:23:23

I haven't been on hormonal contraception for at least 9 years... ttc for 14 months and my gp still won't run tests...

They say go to the gp after ttc for a year. Takes awhile to get back to regular cycles with depo. A year is not uncommon. Patience is a virtue.

Sunshinesaz86 Fri 28-Apr-17 21:11:02

I was on the drop a few years back and after one day being late they wouldn't do it again until I had a period after 5 months of nothing I decided to ask for the pill and that kick started them again.

Might be worth a go for a month or two rather than wait potentially 18 months or so (that was the GP telling me worst case scenario!)

Hopefully it won't be yours good luck x x

Sunshinesaz86 Fri 28-Apr-17 21:12:07

Sorry that should say depo (injection). I should add that GPS should really tell people how long it can take to get out the system.

ChantelleR89 Fri 28-Apr-17 21:29:02

My GP told me it would be fully out of my system in 2-4 months. By 3months I was having regular periods so I thought it but be out of my system as the deli stopped them.. but when I spoke to a girl I used to work with who now works in sexual health she was telling me it can take up to a year...
All the different information is just confusing and frustrating 🙈

ChantelleR89 Fri 28-Apr-17 21:30:22

Sorry my quick typing is making me not make sense.. I meant 'might' and 'depo' not deli

CPtart Fri 28-Apr-17 21:31:32

Practice nurse here. It can take up to 12 months to get your periods back.

Nottalotta Fri 28-Apr-17 21:34:34

It took me 9 months before I had a period, and 2.5 years before I was pregnant. I was 38, and had started fertility investigations but not treatment. With my second child, I was on the mini pill, still breastfeeding the first baby, and had sex once.

GraceBlish Sun 30-Apr-17 21:23:10

Sexual health nurse here - it us not unusual for women who have been on hormonal contraception to take a year to conceive. GPs generally won't investigate until you've been ttc for 2 years. In my job we often give out hormonal contact but from personal experience and many women I met, I will not be allowing my daughter to use hormonal contraception - I think it's way more detrimental than we realise.

GraceBlish Sun 30-Apr-17 21:23:52

Contraception not contract

user1471464906 Sun 30-Apr-17 21:32:47

There's a difference between having a period and ovulating. The depo works by preventing ovulation and it can take for ovulation to restart. The average is 5 months but as others say it can take up to a year. I wouldn't advise using the pill at this point as while it might regulate a bleed/period it won't help restart ovulation. It's just a question of time. (Sexual health doctor)

ew1990 Sun 30-Apr-17 21:33:39

My periods went back to normal straight away, took 2 years to conceive though, x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: