Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant whilst breastfeeding??!

(8 Posts)
MadMamma9 Wed 26-Apr-17 14:09:43

Hello,
I am new here, and am in need of some advice.
I have a 11month old LO abs and still breastfeeding, though he is on solids too now. I have had no periods since e was born and have been told by my midwife that it is normal. Although...over the last few days I have had headaches, nausea, bloating and small cramping. I put it down to AF making a return but no such sign. I took a pregnancy test and it came up positive (very faintly) and then faded to negative. I checked the packet and it was two years out of date blush. I just wanted to know if anyone can tell me their experiences/ advice until I can get to the shop to buy another test. Thanks in advance. smile

Laquila Wed 26-Apr-17 14:16:42

Hi

It's perfectly possible to get pregnant whilst breastfeeding - it's not a reliable contraceptive method. The only way to know for sure will be to go to your GP, but they'll likely just tell you to do another pregnancy test. Good luck!

savagehk Wed 26-Apr-17 14:19:10

Entirely possible especially as LO is 11m and having solids. Even before then it's not 100% reliable by any stretch.
And, remember you ovulate before your period arrives....

Chattycat78 Wed 26-Apr-17 14:33:29

If you're relying on breastfeeding as a contraceptive then yes it's totally possible you could be pregnant, especially with an 11 month old. Even early on. I had unprotected sex when my baby was 4 weeks old and was exclusively breastfeeding- then freaked out, spoke to gp and was told to take the MAP! Which I did! I was straight on the mini pill after that!

MadMamma9 Wed 26-Apr-17 14:44:05

Wasn't really relying on breastfeeding as contraception as such, but have had a few unprotected occasions that are now making me wonder. I have had no evidence of ovulation no EWCM or anything but I am not sure that I would get that anyway whilst breastfeeding

Beansonapost Wed 26-Apr-17 14:51:53

I got pregnant while breastfeeding... DD was 11 months... period came back at 7 months.

I'm 4weeks pp and now breastfeeding two DC.

Maybe my experience is different but I've never thought you couldn't get pregnant while breastfeeding. My mother has 8 children all of us breastfed for years... I was breastfed up to 4.5 years. I'm 4 yrs older than one of my sisters. One of my sisters stopped at age 6... she's 6yrs older than my other sister...

MadMamma9 Wed 26-Apr-17 16:48:55

I'm aware that when your no longer feeding through the night or are no longer feeding as much throughout the day that you can quite easily fall pregnant, but I am still feeding through the night, and probably more than strictly necessary through the day. My midwife had told me that the chances of falling pregnant under these circumstances were less than 2%shock. I've obviously been falsely deluding myself

Laquila Wed 26-Apr-17 19:43:56

If you knew that the chances were less than 2% then surely you knew you could get pregnant?! Someone's got to be in the 2%! Congratulations 💐

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now