Talk

Advanced search

Should I freeze my eggs?

(11 Posts)
MissBel12 Mon 24-Apr-17 21:09:16

I'm 36 and I went for AMH test last August before we started TTC and got reading of 10.6. Doctor said it was quite low for my age and not to panic but to seriously 'get going' with TTC!

8 months later I got BFP and was delighted (forgot all about AMH). But then at 6 weeks I miscarried. Starting to feel a bit better now, and thinking maybe when AF returns will start trying again.

But what I'm worried about is how quickly does your AMH diminish? Should I be re-testing before we start TTC in case it's dropped further? Am I running out of time week by week or is it much slower than that?

Also if I'm lucky enough to get pregnant and hold onto the baby, and we'd like a little brother or sister I for the baby, I'm worried that by the time we TTC for #2 it could be too late at that stage.

Should I just bite the bullet and freeze my eggs now to give the best chance of having at least one child? It's quite expensive but we'd find a way if we thought it was the best option.

Chattycat78 Mon 24-Apr-17 21:27:01

I'm not sure you should be panicking tbh. Your amh is pretty good. Even if it wasn't - all amh tells you is how many eggs you have left and not if they're any good or not- which is what counts getting pregnant.

No one knows how fast amh declines. However- my amh was 2.8 (so waaayyy lower than yours!) age 34. I've been pregnant 3 times and had 2 live births since then.

Chattycat78 Mon 24-Apr-17 21:28:33

One further point- the stats for egg freezing, defrosting and then having a subsequent live birth from this's eggs are really poor. Look at what Robert winston says about it.

If you wanted to speed things up, I'd look at doing ivf.

MissBel12 Mon 24-Apr-17 23:13:21

Thanks ChattyCat, much appreciated and definitely calms me down a bit. smile

BiggerBoatNeeded Tue 25-Apr-17 09:58:29

Agree with Chattycat re current success of egg freezing. You would be better off doing IVF and freezing embryos than freezing eggs. But your AMH is also not catastrophically low either so it would seem a bit premature to jump to IVF before trying for a bit longer (while perhaps being mindful that if you've not suceeded after a while you might want to think of other options). Good luck!

goldenrachita Tue 25-Apr-17 12:04:18

You said 'we', so if you did this you'd want to be freezing embryos not eggs. Eggs don't defrost well and the stats on success are really bad. It's not something I'd reply on at all.

Remember you only need one good egg! I think the follicle count test can be patchy. I had an unrelated ovary scan the month I got pregnant (day 8 of my cycle) and was told 'not to wait too long' as there weren't too many follicles. Well, one of those she did see is now my little boy! I'm 41, older than you and he's due soon. I do feel for you as it's all so uncertain and you just don't know if it will work. Such a scary time! The only tip I'd give you is to TTC a second as soon as you can after your first, if you do have a natural conception with Baby #1. I'm planning to do that (I'm due with #1 soon). At 42 it looks unlikely on paper but I'm weirdly hopeful as you're more fertile after you've just had a baby. It will be terrible timing in terms of spacing a family sensibly but I don't care!

goldenrachita Tue 25-Apr-17 12:05:11

Sorry 'rely on' not 'reply on' !! Good luck!

Chattycat78 Tue 25-Apr-17 16:08:54

Agree with golden. I got pregnant again when ds1 was 9 months old- first month trying! Wasn't expecting that as ds1 was an ivf baby - was told to do ivf in the first place because of the low amh and given the impression that conception would be more difficult. hmm

MissBel12 Tue 25-Apr-17 18:05:15

Ah ok, just shows how clueless I am (feverishly googles 'what's the difference between freezing eggs and freezing embryosblush), but yes I think we'll keep trying for a bit longer before considering.

Also good idea to try have 1&2 close together if possible. A friend of mine did that, and while it was very tough at the time, it's great now as they're so close in age.

Chattycat78 Tue 25-Apr-17 20:43:16

Yeah if you were going to freeze anything - embryos would be the way to go.

You could carry on trying, and take steps towards doing ivf as well. It's not one or the other.

Sunshineandlaughter Tue 25-Apr-17 20:45:38

I would do ivf if you haven't conceived in next 3 months. Practically that may mean making appointments and stuff now as it can take a while - you can always cancel them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now