Talk

Advanced search

40 and 3 MCs in 6 months

(7 Posts)
VixP Mon 24-Apr-17 13:59:59

Hi all,

I'm new to mumsnet but just here looking for a bit of advice.

I have a gorgeous DD who is 2 years 3 months now. Conceived her first month of trying when I was 37, had her when I was 38. We started trying for no. 2 when I was 39 and DD 18 months. I assumed it would be as easy as before - I could almost cry at my naivity now. I turned 40 and we got pregnant - all seemed OK except I had no MS and had HG with my first. I miscarried at 6w2d. Since then, the pattern has been - wait for one period, try again, pregnant, miscarry. One at 4w, one at 6w3d.

I've read lots of theories as to why this might be, most depressingly (and I understand most likely) old eggs. But there's others: nutrient deficiency, thyroid issues, insufficient hormones at correct times (oestrogen and progesterone), sticky blood, lack of stem cells in the endometrial lining, NK killer cells, unfussy womb theory. I'm not sure how many of these can develop between one pregnancy and another though?

I've been referred to the recurrent miscarriage clinic at Coventry run by Dr. Quenby and Dr. Brosens, both of whom seem to be well regarded. It looked like it could take 22 weeks to be seen on the NHS?! Given I don't fancy sodding around for 22 weeks, I'm going to go private (my lovely Mum & Dad have offered to pay). Does anyone have any experience of the clinic? What tests am I likely to be offered? How long does it take to get seen?

Finally, supplements. I'm on CoQ10, omega 3,6,9, conception multivitamin, extra B complex. From threads it looks like I should also be taking extra folic acid, extra vitamin D, royal jelly, l-arginine? Anything else? Any advice?! Can I take all of these together? Seems like a LOT of supplements.

Apologies for the long post. I've just been so anxious, miserable and depressed. Every mc has broken my heart a little bit more. I'm just trying to do something positive now because I don't know what else to do xxx

m33r Mon 24-Apr-17 21:37:17

I don't have anything specific to offer except to say that I am 33 and had 3 MCs in 6 months - Feb 16, June 16 and August 16 - and am now 25 weeks after a bfp in November so don't despair and don't assume it's age or anything other than bad luck. I hope that helps. Good luck! PS It took me 20 months to conceive DS1. Sometimes there's just no reason for tough conception x

StarUtopia Mon 24-Apr-17 21:39:00

I took baby aspirin to get my pregnancies to stick ( I have Factor V leiden. You might find you do too but it would probably takes ages to get tested) Nothing dangerous about taking aspirin in such small quantities.

VixP Mon 24-Apr-17 22:30:10

M33 - thank you very much for your reply. That does give me hope. I just keep thinking 'what if I can't have another baby?' and it makes me so upset.

StarUtopia - I nearly started taking baby asprin with my last pregnancy but chickened out because it wasn't under the advice of a doctor. I'm going to wait and have the tests before trying again (I really don't think I could go through another mc) but will try baby asprin with the (hopefully) next one.

Thank you xxx

PJ12 Mon 24-Apr-17 23:30:07

No advise to offer VixP but I'm in a very similiar situation sad Conceived DD on the 2nd month of trying, then started trying for number 2 when she was one and have had 4 miscarriages over the last year and a half (all around the 7/8 week mark). After 3 miscarriages I finally qualified for further testing and was referred to St Mary's. The wait was quite long and as time isn't on my side we decided to go private while we waited to be seen at St Mary's. We decided to see Dr Shehata and I was tested for NKC. They came back as high and for my next pregnancy I was put on aspirin, progesterone and steriods. The steriods made me feel absolutely awful (heart palpitations). And it made no difference as I still miscarried at 7 weeks sad. In the meantime I was seen at St Mary's and had all my blood tests done there and tested positive for their TAG test and was told I will need 150mg of aspirin for my next pregnancy (was on 75 before and apparently according to them that wasn't a high enough dose). So I'm going with their approach for now. It's less aggressive than steriods and because I had such a bad reaction to steriods I feel my body needs a break from them (I'm one of the unlucky ones, most people have only mild side effects). So no advise to offer really and I'm really sorry you find yourself in this situation flowers. I really hope your next pregnancy is a successful one.

PJ12 Mon 24-Apr-17 23:37:53

Also, there is currently a thread called "Recurrent Miscarriage Investigations" that should give you hope flowers flowers flowers

VixP Tue 25-Apr-17 17:41:37

Thanks, PJ12, I'll check out that thread. And sorry for your losses - miscarriage is horrendous, especially when you have to keep going through it.

What is a TAG test? Is that the sticky blood one? Steroids sound properly nasty, I think I'd probably knock them on the head too.

I spoke to the recurrent miscarriage clinic at Coventry this afternoon and it looks like it should take no more than 6 weeks to be seen (bit better than the 22 weeks it said on the website!). I can't book privately for that so will just have to wait for the appointment to come through... x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now