Talk

Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Ovulation help

(17 Posts)
Alicejj8x Sun 23-Apr-17 19:15:45

Hello ladies--
I am just wondering if anyone can offer me any advice really

We have been ttc for about 7/8 months now and had a MMC April of last year...
my periods are irregular I get one every 3 months :/
I have had a scan and everything was normal and came back fine. I've had blood tests and my Lh hormone came back slightly raised but the doctors said they wasn't worried about it.
In Feb this year I got prescribed some tablets to 'kick' start my periods and then I got 2 more boxes last month & currently waiting to see if I ovulate. I was meant to ovulate today according to a period app but online it says I will ovulate Thursday... I am worrying as I've been using opks for a few months now and I wouldn't ever say I've ever see a positive ?.. I've had one that's been close but I am really worrying that I am not ovulating because my periods are irregular?..
Can anyone suggest what I should do should I wait for Thursday and see if I ovulate? And then if not call the doctors. As I don't really want to start another box of the tablets to bring on AF if I'm not ovulating?

Popcorn15 Sun 23-Apr-17 20:42:30

Hi Alice

I've recently got the book "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" (search for it on Amazon).
You need to be taking temps & monitoring your cervical fluid to know if you are ovulating as opks can be misleading.

I understand Some of the meds prescribed to kick start periods can actually dry up the cervical fluid so actually does the opposite of what you want - yes the cycle may be more regular but you need fertile wet cervical fluid (EWCM) to achieve the big goal.

Apps are not reliable to predict ovulation as all they do is try to predict future fertility based on your past cycles. But cycles can vary from month to month for the same woman.

I would encourage you to read the book. I feel like I understand my body and the fertility signs it gives out so much better now. Hoping that it will help me get a bfp in the future.

Hope this helps.

P x

Alicejj8x Sun 23-Apr-17 21:25:00

Hello! Ah Thankyou I think I will go and have a look into getting the book.

Yes I mean I have noticed I am getting some EWCM and the stringy type before hand but I just worry I haven't caught the surge. I mean I guess the opks can be wrong can't they with detecting the surge if you haven't tested at the right time of day/ drunk to much before hand etc etc...

I have a few signs to like my breast have been sore and I've had a few twinges in my tummy but not a positive opk as of yet. Yes I don't think I'll pay to much attention to the app as it says today but then a few online say Thursday. I think I'll see how it goes and if I don't see any indication of ovulation I guess I'll ring the doctors.

But I am hoping that the scan I've had of my ovaries would shown if I wasn't ovulating??

tinks0211 Mon 24-Apr-17 13:43:16

Hi there, I have read your post with interest. I was in the same boat as you and had surgery for a MMC 1st April last year... I recently felt ready to try again, and again like you im very irregular with my cycle. Whilst on Feonella if i missed a days pill I would have a small bleed. However, after coming off it to start TTC at the beginning of March AF hasn't been and neither have i had a withdrawal bleed. Im feeling dizzy a lot, pains in what feels like my right ovary, I have done multiple tests all BFN. I do have PCOS (follicles on my right ovary-not sure if this makes a difference.) i have sudden waves of nausea and am feeling a lot more tired, its so frustrating at the moment.

Alicejj8x Mon 24-Apr-17 14:37:56

Oh really?? Have you called the doctors?
Why can't are cycles be regular! Such a pain isn't it I hope your okay and can sort it out !!

With your pcos have you always had that or is it recently?

tinks0211 Mon 24-Apr-17 15:15:11

Apparently I've had high testosterone levels for years.. but they never looked into it. After the MMC last year they sent me for an US as AF didn't come back and it was then they told me I had a polycystic right ovary.. I haven't spoken to the doctors yet they are so quick to right you off normally. I'm diabetic and my consultant started me on metformin earlier this year to help with the PCOS but don't think it's making any odds. 😶 so frustrating isn't it x

Alicejj8x Mon 24-Apr-17 18:52:39

Oh I see!! So it can come on anytime then. It is so fustrating and you feel at times to give up or that your not good enough. Atm it's all I sleep eat and breath and I'm trying to not let it consume all my thinking space ( if that's possible)..
as you said you had a US and they noticed the right ovary.. do you think from my US I've had and the ones I have had from my MMC they would of picked up if I had pcos? Or with my bloods? Xxx

tinks0211 Mon 24-Apr-17 19:17:21

I would have thought so Alice.. the lady who scanned me spotted it straight away .. did your gp go through the results of your US?? They didn't say anything about my ovaries being polycystic when I had the MMC. Just the ultrasound about 8 weeks after. The bloods they took from me that showed high levels of testosterone were about 10 years ago.. I think in part it has some reason to do with being diabetic as it's all interlinked. Gggrrr...I know what you mean though about it becoming all consuming. I constantly just want to keep testing as no AF but every time I do I just feel so disappointed. 😐 xx

Alicejj8x Mon 24-Apr-17 19:25:00

The lady who did my US told me there and then that she couldn't see any cysts or fluid around my ovaries she said they both look normal and as they should :/.. as I said to her I was worried about them and she said there fine and when I've gone to the doctors they told me the results were all fine from my US just that one hormone was raised but they said it was slightly raised and it wasn't nothing to worry about?:::
I have a call with the doctors tmo I am going to asked to be referred to the gynocologist as they told me that would be the next step... so annoying isn't it I'm using the ovulation sticks so hoping I pick up on ovulation this month it say Thursday is my day but we're see :/!
It is soo consuming and makes you feel abit crazy doesn't it.

Ahh I feel for you sad... could it be early days and that's why there is no positive as of yet?;:

Alicejj8x Tue 25-Apr-17 13:34:08

Being referred to the gynocologist tmo at my appointment.
I asked about poly cycstic ovaries and they told me it would defo of come back in my bloods and defo of been shown in my scan xx

tinks0211 Tue 25-Apr-17 13:57:49

Ah that's good news Alice. Fingers crossed for you appt with the gynaecologist. Oh and good luck for Thursday. Ooh ovulating strips I haven't tried them. Will have to pick some up.
I'd love to think so but not holding out hope, I've had awful lower back pain the last couple of days. Ggrrr. Xx

Alicejj8x Tue 25-Apr-17 14:34:36

Hopefully the referral doesn't take to long lol! You never know with these prisms do you!
Ahh okay yeah I would get some there only cheap from eBay or Amazon. I like to check minewith it but they can be misleading

I am hoping Thursday will be the day I ovulate but we shall see :/ as if I'm not ovulating I don't know what exactly that means? Xxx

Alicejj8x Tue 25-Apr-17 14:34:47

Ahh let me know and fingers crossed xx

tinks0211 Tue 25-Apr-17 14:47:09

Fingers crossed Alice - keep me updated xx

Alicejj8x Tue 25-Apr-17 18:21:43

I shall do! Thankyou!

Alicejj8x Wed 26-Apr-17 13:09:01

Ladies can you offer some advice please on thee OPKs
So last month i brought the extra sensitive opks as my hormone level of Lh was high so got told to try sensitive ones as I had no luck with the other ones I have ...

Can you look at these two pictures from today and let me know if you think ovulation is coming?.. I am meant to ovulate tomorrow. I have been doing these since coming off AF and these by far are the darkest ones.
The first picture is this mornings one at 9.30am and the second one was done at 12.20 this afternoon.

Alicejj8x Thu 27-Apr-17 15:02:01

Just been referred to the gynocologist! Xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: