Talk

Advanced search

Type 2 Diabetes & TTC #1

(6 Posts)
Twistedsister7 Sat 22-Apr-17 17:16:42

Hi.

I have been diagnosed type 2 for a year now. On diagnosis we were not TTC so it was never discussed. I had my implant removed in November & discussed ttc with the nurse. She knew about my diabetes & didn't discourage ttc, just said eat well,etc.

I'm currently on Metformin & my blood sugar is under control but I have struggled to lose weight. Currently 17stone & a size 18 at 5"3.

I recently met with the diabetes nurse and she actively discouraged ttc & then shooed me out the door with no real discussion. Getting an appt at my surgery is pretty difficult coupled with my working hours so I've yet to discuss the further with perhaps my GP.

Has anyone else gone home though any of this & perhaps any advice or experiences to share. I'm 33 soon so don't want to delay ttc unless it is absolutely too risky for me & a future child.

AveEldon Sun 23-Apr-17 13:28:33

Was the nurse at the GP or at the hospital?

You should ask for a referral to the diabetes clinic as they should have a pre pregnancy service

Twistedsister7 Sun 23-Apr-17 13:46:13

Hi. Both appointments were at my GP and the diabetes nurse was GP based diabetes clinic (as I understand it).

I've decided to book a GP appointment to talk it all over. Be waiting 2 months though most likely.

hellotoyellow Sun 23-Apr-17 19:26:28

Hi, you need some decent advice - the hospital should be able to offer pre pregnancy counselling.

Have a look here www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Life-with-diabetes/Pregnancy/ and in the meantime start taking 5mg of folic acid every day - should be for 3 months prior if possible. (http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/913.aspx?categoryid=54).

Twistedsister7 Sun 23-Apr-17 19:49:55

Thank you so much for the links. I'm definitely booking a GP appointment tomorrow & going to make sure he answers all my questions & that I fully understand the answers.

Twistedsister7 Sun 14-May-17 17:36:24

Hi guys. So I had my dr appointment and wanted to share info in case it is of use to anyone else.

I got conflicting messages from a family planning nurse & my diabetic nurse. I am type 2 & obese. FP nurse said I was ok on my Metformin but keep trying to eat well & exercise. Diabetes nurse was horrified I was ttc & said it wasn't a great idea.

Dr was incredibly helpful & explained that it was fine ttc on Metformin but agreed I should continue with a weight loss plan & exercise whilst ttc. She explained that should I fall pg I should request an immediate referral to midwife & it was likely they may switch my Metformin for insulin for first three months. She said this was not an issue & shouldn't cause me any problems. She went on to explain the higher risks of being pg & diabetic and prescribed me 5mg folic acid to take whilst ttc & once pg. She also pointed out that there was no confirmed link between my being obese & diabetic and I have a family history. Losing weight will be helpful but I may always be diabetic & having a baby is entirely possible as long as I follow advice & get the required medical intervention.

The day after I attended a diabetes group regarding eating well & learnt a lot!!

All in all I left feeling relatively positive & at least like I understood now what the risks were and the perceived severity & likelihood of these risks.

So keeping up with gym & low GI diet & dtd whenever the mood takes!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now