Talk

Advanced search

Books/ websites about pregnancy/ being a parent

(13 Posts)
cleanjean Sat 22-Apr-17 13:27:25

Hey there,

DH & I are trying to conceive child #1 and since I can't do much while waiting for it to happen, I thought I might do some reading. Any tips on good books/websites about pregnancy and the first year or so of a child's life?

DH and I don't really know anyone with kids and will be completely new to this. I know every baby is different and things, but I wanna have at least some idea what to expect.

The things I'm particularly interested in learning:

Generally about what happens during each stage of pregnancy and how to look after my body best (I don't even know how to do kegels or what the bouncy balls are for lol).

What to expect during kiddos first year.

A general book about baby illnesses and what to do (so I'm not rushing to hospital all the time).

General baby care.

Etc!!

grin

Rainatnight Sat 22-Apr-17 13:31:31

Can't recommend pregnancy books because we adopted our baby, but I find the Penelope Leach book invaluable for general baby care.

I also found it fun to read some easy baby development/psychology while I was waiting. The Baby in the Mirror and The Scientist in the Crib are both great.

Rainatnight Sat 22-Apr-17 13:32:01

Also Why Love Matters by Sue Gerhardt

cleanjean Sat 22-Apr-17 13:38:30

Thanks, I'll look those up grin

WantToGoingTo Sat 22-Apr-17 13:56:46

The Unmumsy Mum! Most accurate book about it all imo. No advice, or anything really to do with HOW to look after a baby/child... but it's a pretty honest (and hilarious!) account of what really is in store :D

WantToGoingTo Sat 22-Apr-17 13:57:54

Re child illnesses - there are lots of great apps out there that may be better than a book. E.g. have common childhood symptoms and flowcharts of what to do so might be worth a look there

Sunshinesaz86 Sat 22-Apr-17 13:59:47

When you get your BFP I found the Ovia app helpful if gives you a weekly baby growth update and offers useful hints/tips and info on each trimester. I found it good and something to look forward to reading each day/week.

No advice on actual other reading material though unfortunately but this site has many other topics if further down the line you have questions! Good luck on your journey x

WomanScorned Tue 25-Apr-17 04:22:11

wordery.com/bump-kate-evans-9781908434357

Also by Kate Evans, "The food of Love'

Not your usual Pregnancy/Baby care books; I've found all her stuff v. readable, in its own right.

(Can you tell I greatly admire this woman?)

BakedBeeeen Tue 25-Apr-17 04:30:27

Your Baby Week by Week is a brilliant baby bible imo. Had it recommended to us, and we have recommended to others. It's got a lot of the medical stuff in it (it's co-written with a doctor)

CaptainWarbeck Tue 25-Apr-17 05:30:18

While you're TTC, the impatient woman's guide to getting pregnant by Jean M Twenge is a really good read - clues you up on how it all happens, looks at the evidence for timing of DTD and sex of baby and how to use OPKs etc if you're charting. Thoroughly informative and entertaining too.

For pregnancy I liked Emily Oster's Expecting Better, and it gets recommended a lot on here too. She's an economist who goes through each stage of pregnancy after conceiving and looks at all the advice women are given and whether it fits with the evidence. Really interesting and worth even just getting from the library for a read.

Both available on kindle too.

For week by week info on you and your baby in pregnancy, What To Expect When You're Expecting is good, but a bit waffly and chock full of information.

Apps wise, Ovia and Glow are both good. Glow you can upload a bump picture each week and it'll create a montage for you. Both have week by week info and daily email updates if you want them.

Aaaand obvs the mumsnet guide to pregnancy is really good and they do a guide to babies and a guide to toddlers too I think. All on kindle as well. They are all the advice and wisdom on here distilled into book form and really very good.

cleanjean Tue 25-Apr-17 06:42:50

Thanks for the advice! Looking forward to checking these out! May as well use this waiting time to learn a bit.

ifeellikechickentonight Tue 25-Apr-17 17:28:31

Second Emily oster. It's brilliant and takes the guilt out of having the odd glass of vino in the 2ww!

dilapidated Tue 25-Apr-17 19:01:23

I'd recommend the art of baby making by Gerard Kite for whilst TTC.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now